• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wet aged frozen Brisket

I started this thread worried about using a frozen brisket and now I can't wait for 2 weeks to try and use the brisket. This will make life much easier just to have a case of wet aged brisket in the freezer ready to go.

I've tried to find fresh brisket, tracked down an organic black angus cattle farmer and asked if I could get a fresh one. She said they flash freeze all their meat and it wasn't easy to get it fresh. They also said their organic beef briskets are much smaller than regular briskets. They said a whole organic brisket was in the 8 pound range. Their meat is about twice as much as local grocers per pound. They say its better tasting and healthier, but twice the rate? Needless to say I haven't sampled any of her meat. My question is, how do you find a brisket that was not frozen?

smokinb - If you can find a local butcher they will order a fresh case of full packers for you, The case normally comes with 5 full packers. we then wet age them and split up the case keeping 2 for competition and sell off the rest at cost to some buddies. Just ask for the pack date (most of the time on the case the brisket come in). This is why we had to freeze we found a new supplier and order them with a enough time to wet age before the comp, but this supplier wet ages all the meats before they sell them so we had to freeze them

I've tried to find fresh brisket, tracked down an organic black angus cattle farmer and asked if I could get a fresh one. She said they flash freeze all their meat and it wasn't easy to get it fresh. They also said their organic beef briskets are much smaller than regular briskets. They said a whole organic brisket was in the 8 pound range. Their meat is about twice as much as local grocers per pound. They say its better tasting and healthier, but twice the rate? Needless to say I haven't sampled any of her meat. My question is, how do you find a brisket that was not frozen?

For BBQ, avoid anything that is "good for you." Organic? Grass fed? Free range? Local farm? Sustainable? Pfft.

(I'm kidding, but only partly. Larger, well marbled cuts of beef and pork are what you want. Healthier generally means leaner. Great for the grill, not so good for slow fire cooking. If you want to pay double for a brisket, at least get a 17 pound grain fed Wagyu or something. Those lean locally raised free range chickens are great on your table, but they won't do as well in a comp as the mass market stuff at the supermarket. )

How long do most people age there butts and chicken. I know on the beef the longer you let it wet age the tastier it is.

Good to see you posting on here. It can be a great help at your first BBQ contest!
Aging meet is kinda interesting. Aging chicken and pork is kinda not done. But wet aging brisket can be done but not over 6 weeks max . Normally look for quarter size bubbles .
Ope to you soon.
John
BBQ bands and brews.

I thought I was just imagining tenderness in steaks that were frozen. Glad to here others have experienced the same results

For BBQ, avoid anything that is "good for you." Organic? Grass fed? Free range? Local farm? Sustainable? Pfft.

(I'm kidding, but only partly. Larger, well marbled cuts of beef and pork are what you want. Healthier generally means leaner. Great for the grill, not so good for slow fire cooking. If you want to pay double for a brisket, at least get a 17 pound grain fed Wagyu or something. Those lean locally raised free range chickens are great on your table, but they won't do as well in a comp as the mass market stuff at the supermarket. )

i would disagree with this blanket statement.

while not a "BBQ" here is an example of quality grass fed, local, and organic beef.

attachment.php

and here's a brisket of same elk. flat over point.

attachment.php

I dunno, Aaron Franklin uses all natural brisket, hormone/anti-biotic free etc.. and you know what they say about his brisket...

Also free range chicken are a little bit leaner and have thinner skin, which is good for cook-offs.

Good to see you posting on here. It can be a great help at your first BBQ contest!
Aging meet is kinda interesting. Aging chicken and pork is kinda not done. But wet aging brisket can be done but not over 6 weeks max . Normally look for quarter size bubbles .
Ope to you soon.
John
BBQ bands and brews.

I understand the "quarter sized bubble" thing but do you (or anyone) have a picture of this? Should it have a lot of bubbles or just some scattered through out the vac pac?

Back