(Pinto) Beans

thirdeye said:
Have you ever tried the Mexican herb "epazote"? Epazote is also known as the bean herb, because it makes beans more digestable and reduces gas. It is in most Mexican pinto bean recipes. Some folks claim it has an off flavor, but I like both the fresh and the dried. The fresh should be treated like a bay leaf and removed from the pot before serving.

Epazote can be a double edged sword. Some people are much more sensitive to it than others, giving a diaretic effect in some cases.

Wow Thirdeye - those beans look great.

I got to thinkin' more about it.... I think Pinto Beans being the "star" and many people prefering them with only a hunk of salt pork ties into the settlers. That is, my great grandparents actually came to Oklahoma during the land run. Many people at that time lived in dugouts and sod houses. In other words, they didn't have all the fixin's for Third Eyes beans. (Damn those look good!!!) A pot of beans and some corn break cooked in a skillet was as good as it got.

You can take the man out of the country, but you can't the country out of the man.

I only do it a few times a year in beans, but a couple of smoked hog jowls (trimmed after smoking) along with a couple of shanks is really good.

I save my jowl craving for black eyed peas. Heheeee.

9bd75da6.jpg

thirdeye said:
Have you ever tried the Mexican herb "epazote"? Epazote is also known as the bean herb, because it makes beans more digestable and reduces gas. It is in most Mexican pinto bean recipes. Some folks claim it has an off flavor, but I like both the fresh and the dried. The fresh should be treated like a bay leaf and removed from the pot before serving.
Wouldn't that take all of the fun out of it????:oops: :wink: :biggrin:

Farks. I got a pretty simple recipe for beans that we make at deer camp and I make a roaster full each spring for our local sportsmen club that they sell.
I use the dried navy beans.
1# white navy beans
1# bacon
1/2 bag of Mrs. Kluskis noodle
1 lg. sweet onion
I check beans, boil them for abt 30 min. Let sit for couple hours. Change water, bring to a boil again and let rest overnite. Chop bacon into 1 inch pieces and chop onion. Fry bacon and onion together. I pour off part of the water. Add bacon and onions, fat and all to beans. Then I correct liquid level by adding chicken broth. I boil noodles for about 8 minutes, drain and add to beans. Simmer for an hour for flavors to meld together.
Sometimes I add some grated carrot also.. Not sure why but noodles seem to remove most of the gas from the beans. Kluski noodles dont seem to fall apart like egg noodles. Especially during reheat. I like to use the Great Northern Beans for convience. It has a tremendous abount of sodium in them. You can strain the fried bacon from its grease but what the heck.
Mike

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Pintos (dry)
Water
Smoked Pork Hocks
Salt

Simmer for a long damn time. Take out the skin, fat and bones from the hocks
that's all ya need man, a little hot sauce in the bowl after they're cooked............DAMN, simple is goooooood.

Later I'll do the great northern sweet/hot baked thing, with MUSTARD!!!!:twisted:

Guarantee they'll disappear

bbqjoe said:
How about some Great Northern beans cooked with some onion, brisket, and topped off with a pat of butter?

Looks fantasic, but does it need the butter? :confused:

LeeBo said:
My wife is a farm girl and a phenominal cook. However, being from Minnesota, she (and her family) had never eaten or seen pinto beans.

So, I thought my little contribution to the Brethren would be to encourage each of you to try making a pot.

- LeeBo

I'm going to accept this mission. I'm a farm boy from Minnesota too so my experience with pintos is limited to refrieds from Taco John's and canned. I have cooked them a few times with mixed results. I'm sure with the advice from thirdeye and fatdaddy that this batch will be a little better. I just love trying new stuff. Guess that's why I hang around this place so much.

I cook beans every chance I get (mostly when Karen is gone :redface: )

Not Pintos, but just did a pound of Large Limas last night.
No water--used chicken stock for first time!

DAD had given me a biggo bone with lots of meat from a sprial cut ham.

Just beans, garlic, onion, chicken stock, and a tiny hit of Emeril's Essence!

A real different flavor with the chicken stock--I really think I like it :lol:

TIM

I just put a pot on. Some would claim blasphemy on the crock pot, but it does a good job if you run it on high for about 10 to 15 hours.

Anywho, here's what I do:

1/4 to 1/2 pound of dry pintos (for wife and me)
1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
golf ball chunk of unsliced salt pork
Put in crock pot and cook overnight

Regarding the baking powder.... I asked my grandmother why she did this. She pondered and said, "Because that's the way Mama did it." Yet she didn't know why.

I suspect it's to help the juice. That is, with pinto beans you don't want watery juice. The juice should be somewhere between the consistency of water and whole milk. Also, the pintos will be too firm unless you cook them overnight (or on a stove). I suspect the baking powder may help with this too.

About 2 to 3 hours before I'm going to eat I add a healthy spoon of minced garlic. Just before eating I sometimes add a little salt.

Regarding the salt pork, suppose you have kids or others who don't want it... Fine - remove it after cooking the beans but it is essential that you have it present while cooking.

Attachments

• M1[1].jpg
    M1[1].jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Oops. My bad.

There are two ways to approach this. One is to soak the beans overnight. Pintos swell about twice their size, so this is a safe approach.

Or, if you want to start cooking immediately, you want the water level at least twice the depth of the beans. Check them after a few hours to see if you need to add more water.

I included a picture of my maiden voyage of the WSM. It includes beans and cornbread. The ribs were some of the very best I've ever eaten. We're saving the briskett and butt for later.

My cheapie digital doesn't do so well indoors. The side includes home made cole slaw via wifey (excellent) and a slice of raw onion. It was all very tastee!

Attachments

• Beans.JPG
    Beans.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 222
I did pintos today as well, along with some chicky thighs. The pintos were fantastic just plain with salt and pepper (had ground de arbol, garlic, onion, bay leaf, and a half dozen little hot peppers in from the start). Then I decided to get carried away and added a can of rotels. Still edible, but they were better before I did that.

Gonna do it again next weekend. I like them.

I'm makin' a batch of Thirdeye's beans today, they look awesome! I'll let ya know if they come out as good as the picture looks.

dapittboss said:
I'm makin' a batch of Thirdeye's beans today, they look awesome! I'll let ya know if they come out as good as the picture looks.

Which ones - they both look killer

dapittboss said:
I'm makin' a batch of Thirdeye's beans today

I'm soaking a batch of Pintos now, by the time I get home from work they'll be ready for simmering for a hour before I start cooking.

I'm basing my recipe on the old Maine one thats in BBQ USA and just chasing a few things

tommykendall said:
Which ones - they both look killer

Reminds me of a restaurant marquee I saw down here.

"Killer beans - pull my finger"

Been practicing cooking dried beans almost every weekend for a couple of months now. The crockpot method is the easiest. Just wash and inspect the beans, no soak. I use sodium free chicken stock instead of water. Don't add salt until the beans are tender. I sometimes add a lot of stuff (good use for leftover Q) and sometimes very little. Onions and garlic are in the pot at the start. After that I just do what I feel like. They are always started on friday night so the beans are cooked by saturday morning and they go in the pit with whatever else is cooking. Smoke flavoring the beans is what I'm after, not using liquid smoke. Pintos have become my favorite because I always make too much and turning the excess beans into refried beans for burritos is easy. I've got a son that lives on burritos.

PimpSmoke said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Pintos (dry)
Water
Smoked Pork Hocks
Salt

Simmer for a long damn time. Take out the skin, fat and bones from the hocks
that's all ya need man, a little hot sauce in the bowl after they're cooked............DAMN, simple is goooooood.

Later I'll do the great northern sweet/hot baked thing, with MUSTARD!!!!:twisted:

Guarantee they'll disappear

I agree to that!!!

Back