• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoky Spicy Mac & Cheese (Pron)

MS2SB

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've been going through some older pics and found a few cooks which I hadn't posted yet. The first up is my Smoky, Spicy Mac & Cheese.

Ingredients
1 lb cubed ham, I used some leftover home-cured and smoke christmas ham for this
8 oz bacon
2 jalapenos and 1 hatch green chile, roasted, seeded & diced
1 med yellow onion diced
1 can Rotelle
4 C whole milk
8 oz cold smoked white cheddar cheese
8 oz cold smoked pepper jack cheese
1 T coleman's mustard powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 stick of butter
~6 tbs flour
2-bay leaves
1/2 C bread crumbs

I started by browning the ham, bacon & vegetables

Then shredded the cheese and sprinkled with a little bit of the flour. This helps it melt in the sauce a little more smoothly.

Next I created a sauce (sorry no pics of this step).
Melt the butter in the bottom of a large pan and the add flour and cook over med heat stirring constantly for 5-7 minutes until you have a dirty blonde colored roux. At this point add in the mustard, paprika, cayenne and bay leaves and stir for another 30 seconds or so until it becomes fragrant. Slowly whisk in the milk and then bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring regularly. At this point you'll have a slightly think bechemel sauce. Add your bacon, ham, peppers, onions and rotelle and let cook on low heat, just below a simmer for 10-15 minutes.

Now it's time to add the cheese. Add cheese a handfull at a time and stir until fully melted and incorporated, be patient with this step as you don't want the sauce to break. Finally add in some par cooked macaroni.

Mix the bread crumbs with a little bit of melted butter, just enough to moisten and then spinkle over the top of the mac and cheese and pop into the oven or smoker at 350* until browned and bubbly, about 30 minutes.

Serve up and enjoy!

Dang!
That is some kicked up mac and cheese.
Thank you for sharing that recipe with us.

Wow, I've made mac and cheese with rotel before, but this takes it to a whole new level! Awesome.

Back