Turkey 2 ways for Thanksgiving! w/poultry pron*

bproffer

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Last year my plan was to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving, but as fate would have it, both my smokers were out of comission. To be fully prepared for this year, I made sure all was well with my smokers and I purchased 2 turkeys to make up for last year.

I decided to spatchcock the first turkey and cooked it on my XL BGE. I used an off-the-shelf turkey brine made by spice hunter. It seemed to be pretty good having a mixture of salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, and various other herbs, fruit, and spices in it.

DSC02478.jpg

This was a new, unused bucket that was washed in the dishwasher and sanitized with bleach.

I decided to use John Henry's Apple Jerk Chicken rub. First, a liberal coating of olive oil, then the rub on both sides of the bird and under the skin.

DSC02490.jpg

Before this, I got the big green egg up to temp and set it up for indirect heat, using the plate setter. I used 3" stainless bolts and washers to make legs for my grate to raise it up high enough to clear the drip pan under the bird. In the drip pan I had some rub and 3 bottles of beer. I cooked the bird @ 325-375 for approx 95 minutes. I used 2 lumps of hickory for the smoke.

DSC02491.jpg

The bird came out great! It was one of the best tasting turkeys I have had. It could have gone a little longer (my digital thermometer crapped out on me) maybe 10-15 minutes to be perfect.

DSC02496.jpg

DSC02500.jpg

The second turkey I cooked in the Traeger. I have only cooked twice on this new Traeger, and as such, I put a digital smoker thermometer just above the grate to compare with the Traeger digital thermometer. There was a 75 degree difference!:eek: I thought that maybe my smoker thermometer was broken, but the dome thermometer was reading much higher than both the others. Upon investigating, I found that the RTD on the Traeger was touching the outside wall of the smoker causing it to read cold. When I corrected that, all the temps evened out.
DSC02501.jpg

I decided to roast this turkey whole, unlike the one on the egg. After brining for 24 hours, I salted and peppered the cavity and stuffed the bird with a quatered apple, quartered onion, smashed garlic cloves, a quartered lemon and some rosemary and thyme sprigs. I then rubbed it down with olive oil and sprinkled it with some salt & pepper and Weber's Kick'n Chicken. I cooked the bird in a roasting pan because I needed pan drippings for gravy. I then poured some turkey stock I made last week from a practice turkey in the bottom of the roasting pan and poured 1/2 bottle of white wine over the turkey and in the cavity. To the pan I added a bit of Old Bay seasoning as well.

DSC02502.jpg

I cooked it at 325, basting it every 20 minutes after the first 2 hours. It turned out great! I ended up covering the breast with loose foil after the 2 hour mark because I thought it was going to get too dark. I ended up with it being too light, but still very tasty. The pan drippings and gravy made from the drippings was awesome. Some of the best I've had.
DSC02505.jpg

DSC02506.jpg

Overall, 2 of the best turkeys I have had. The family raved about them. They tasted great on sandwiches today as well!

Both of them look great! I think I'm a little partial to the spatchcocked one. 3 bottle of beer? Could you taste any hint of it in the Turkey?

Both of them look great! I think I'm a little partial to the spatchcocked one. 3 bottle of beer? Could you taste any hint of it in the Turkey?

Not too sure if I could taste hints of the beer in the bird. The rub was pretty strong. I used 3 becuase last time I used 2 and it all eveporated. I wanted to make sure I had liquid in there the whole time. It was tasty though!

Thanks for all the compliments!

Nicely done, both birds look great. Always wanted to spatchcock a turkey, will try to get one on sale in the next few days and give it a try on my offset Gator.
Thanks for the pics and the inspiration.

Back