Pizza on the Egg

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been looking at a lot of pictures of pizzas that have been cooked in Big Green Eggs so I decided to try it tonight. I bought pre-made pizza dough from Trader Joe's (Garlic & herb) and used some sauce that I bought at Fresh Market. I added pre-cooked italian sausage, slices of red and green bell pepper, sweet onions and mushrooms and then topped it all with a mix of mozzerella and provolone.

My first one wasn't shaped very well but it came out great with a nice crispy crust.

IMG_4067-1.jpg

The second one was closer to round :-D

IMG_4070-1.jpg

Damn Ron, i personally have gained 10 lb's just reading your thread's this week (it's only Tue.??)
You been one cookin fool!! :biggrin:
Look's great, i'll trade ya pizza for enchilada's??? :wink:

Those look nice Ron! What temp were you cooking these at?

Looks good Ron. What temp and how long? I fried part of my gasket doing pizzas. I've tried fresh dough, premade crust(really like the thin ones), flat breads, tortillas, french bread and wraps for pizzas. I like thin crisp crusts. I also like PooBah's tomato sauce recipe. I make a batch, and freeze in portions. My next pizza will be on a raised grate with the grid extender on a stone with no plate setter.

Ty

and you didn't say how it tasted.

here's a little tip i learned from thirdeye... fold the parchment paper twice so you are cutting out a quarter circle, then unfold and it's close to a perfect circle.

Where do you get this parchment paper? Does it come in rolls?

Looks fantastic Ron!! Doing are first cook this weekend...might have to add a pizza to the list

Where do you get this parchment paper? Does it come in rolls?

Supermarket should have it...it will be in the aluminum foil,saran wrap section.

Another tip...in the winter, it's good to put a piece between the lid and bottom,(when not in use:rolleyes:) this way if there is any moisture the gasket's don't freeze together.(A tip given to me by J Appledog)

Last edited:
section.

Another tip...in the winter, it's good to put a piece between the lid and bottom,(when not in use:rolleyes:) this way if there is any moisture the gasket's don't freeze together.
I suppose this tip is for those not in sunny So Cal. :rolleyes: Just got finished reading yesterdays paper on the Boston storms. Thanks.

A while back someone listed a pizza making forum. Does anyone recall which one?

Looks good Ron. What temp and how long?

On that egg it must be a fine balance between heat and time.

550 degrees dome temp, bottom vent open almost all the way, daisy multi-function top closed, daisy wheel open all the way to build the heat in the dome as suggested on the Naked Whiz web site. I used the platesetter (legs down) with the little green BGE feet as spacers and then the BGE pizza stone on the feet. I started checking the first one at 8 minutes and then every two minutes after that since it was the first time. I rotates it after 10 minutes since one side was browning faster and it cooked for a total of 15 minutes. I wanted the cheese to brown but you may not. For the second one I rotated it at 8 minutes and then took it off at 15.

and you didn't say how it tasted.

Great!

here's a little tip i learned from thirdeye... fold the parchment paper twice so you are cutting out a quarter circle, then unfold and it's close to a perfect circle.

Assuming, of course, that your pizza is a perfect circle :oops:

A while back someone listed a pizza making forum. Does anyone recall which one?

Could it be this one?

Pizza Making Forum

Next trip to Chicago I will be stopping at Ron's for pizza.

:mrgreen:

Looking good. Glad to see you're getting lots of use out of that BGE.

Check this out a pizza peel for the crust challenged like myself
http://www.superpeel.com/videos.html

Tonto 1117 Sent me this that KCquer posted on another Forum.
It has pics that look fantastic.

NY Style Pizza Crust
I've made bad pizza crusts for years. Finally decided I was going to learn to make something better. There dozens of different types of pizza, I wanted to make something like I got at a place in NoCal back in the 80's called Flatt's Pizza Factory. Some research showed that I was after NY style pizza.
NY style pie features a crust which is thin and foldable in the middle, with a rim that puffs high in the oven, that is crispy on the outside and light and airy on the inside.
The other big improvement I wanted to make was getting rid of the pasty flour taste my crusts have always had in the past.
Did pretty good on both accounts. Texture was good, flavor was excellent. Can't wait to try this again.

If you have kitchen scales, use them to weigh the flour and water, the ratio of these 2 ingredient is really important and weighing is the most accurate way to ensure this. I only have wal-mart cheapy scales and they worked great.
Look at your local grocery for a "bread flour". These have a higher gluten content and will greatly improve the finished product. If you can't find any, maybe you can find "vital wheat gluten" (comes in a small jiffy cornbread sized box) to augment all purpose flour. This will be better than AP flour alone, but not as good as the bread flour. I found pilsbury bread flour and Gold Medal "better for bread" (used this one) at Wally Super and my local grocery store, so hopefully you can find it too.

This recipe is a retarded dough (cold rise in fridge for 24 hrs), it's worth the wait.

Ingredients for 2 16" pies (my stone is only 15" and this recipe worked fine)

Flour 25.5 oz (5 3/4 cups)
Water (bottled or filtered if handy) 7.9 oz by weight or 1 3/4 cups volume
Salt (kosher) 1 3/4 tsp
Oil (light olive oil or canola) 1 1/2 tsp
yeast (instant or acitvated dry yeast) 1 tsp
sugar 1 tsp (I used honey instead and really liked the results)

If using ADY (activated dry yeast, std individual pkg yeast) take a 1/4 cup or so of the total water, warm this to ~100* and dissolve yeast in small bowl.
If using IDY (instant dry yeast, fleischmanns from sam's) you can skip the above proofing step.

Put cool (60-65*) water in mixer bowl with dough hook, add about 3/4 of the total flour, mix on stir speed for 2 mins just until it look sorta like smooth pancake batter. Turn off mixer, wait 20 mins. Add yeast, sugar, salt and oil. Set a timer for 10 mins,mix on stir speed, gradually adding flour until you can up the speed without making a mess, then go to speed 2. Mix until timer expires.

NOTE: If like me, you're used to making bread in the KA mixer, this dough is going to look hopelessly wet, it will puddle in the bottom of the bowl, something that would normally cause me to add another 1/4-1/2 cup of flour, DON'T!! It's supposed to be this wet and will be suprisingly sturdy for something this wet due to the high protein flour.
Also, as you work with this stuff, try to add as little bench flour as possible for handling, its a bit sticky like canned biscuit dough but isn't as sticky as it looks.
Check the temp of the dough as you take it off the hook, you're shooting for 75* or so. You start with water cooler than that, as the friction from the mixer will add heat. Mine came out 84* (water too warm) but it worked out fine anyway.

Remove from bowl onto work surface and divide into 2 equal sized parts (using scales if you have them, 20-22oz each). Hand work (as little as possible) into smooth balls, and place in either gallon ziplocs (lightly sprayed inside) or better yet, round rubbermaid type sealable containers (i used 1.5qt no. 3 rubbermaid). When it comes time to make crusts, the already round shape is a great head start. Lightly spray containers and dough balls. Seal in containers and put in fridge overnight.

Remove containers from fridge 2 - 2 1/2 hrs before making pies. When the dough is 65* it's ready. This stuff doesn't really do much in the way of "raising" like one is used to with bread dough, don't worry it's gonna be fine.

If you have a pizza stone, pre-heat it for an hour while the dough warms up, to the max your oven will go (mine goes to 550).
I use a stone, but my OL complained about the cornmeal mess using a peel left in the oven so a few years ago, I started prepping crusts on parchment paper precut to the size of the stone (maybe a touch smaller, and leave a tab to use for handle, kinda like a capital Q) and just sliding parchment, pizza and all directly from a peel, rimless pizza pan or upside down baking sheet onto the stone. No mess, no grief from the Boss!!
If don't have a stone, you can use a pan, although the amount of "oven spring" that produces the airy nature of this crust won't be as good.
4 8" unglazed quarry tiles from Lowe's or Home Depot will work in lieu of a stone just fine, and a lot cheaper than a stone too.

When dough reaches 65* put dough on pan (lightly sprayed) or parchment (lightly floured and dusted off). Gently as possible begin squishing the dough towards the edges of the pan or paper, if necessary lift it a little and allow it to stretch under its own weight around the perimeter (like shuffling your hands on a steering wheel as you make a turn). You want the thinnest area to be the center working gradually toward the thickest area at the edge. You don't need to make a pronounced rim on the raw crust, this will happen on its own in the oven if you leave the edge thicker than the rest of the crust.

Top with sauce, toppings and cheese as you like. Bake until the edges of the crust begin to brown a bit, (mine took maybe 4-6 mins total, but i never time pizza as it varies each time so I just watch it) check the bottom of the crust by lifting with a spatula. If it looks done and the cheese isn't as done as you like, just move the pie to an upper rack, and use the broiler for a bit.

The crust looks burnt, but this scorching is to a pizza maker what bark is to a pitmaster.

I could get in trouble here...But, I'm Italian. So, forgive me Brothers but Italianos kiss and hug. I kiss my dad, brother, sisters, aunts and uncles. I even kiss my inlaws. Norco! I'm laying a smack on your cheek. Pizza dough is my passion at the moment. Good work. I'm trying your dough recipe. I'm going to apply it on the Leaman scale. I"ll let you know.

Back