Controller Advice

under10minutes

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Morning folks. I'm in need of guidance.

I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on a controller and was hoping the community could give me a nudge.

I'm new to smoking. I love tech. I've done numerous overnight smokes which always lead to sleepless nights. The only competition I would take part in would be on a local level. Looking for controller to help me level out the temp on my WSMs.

I currently own a WSM 18 & 22 and use the Maverick 733 to gauge temp and meat. Day to day cooking is done on the 18 and the 22 is used in combo for larger "events".

I'm struggling on which Controller to purchase as well as what Smoker to retro fit it to. My gut says fit out the 22 because the adapter can probably fit over the 18 as well (where as the 18 adapter might not cover the 22).

My research makes me think there's no bad option, just a decision that needs to be made. Would love to get some advice from the folks hoof :)laugh: ) used the items before or have been in my shoes.

Thank you in advance!

... Looking for controller to help me level out the temp on my WSMs....

For reals? I'm new to the WSM world, having done only two smokes with my new 22, but that thing seems to settle in on a temp and rock steady.

Tech is great, gadgets are great, but I think you are trying to fix something that isn't broken. Just my $.02, brother.

I own the DigiQ DX2 and use an adapter for my WSM 22.5 and a 2" ball valve adapter for my Lone Star Grillz. I use a 10 CFM fan for the Weber and 25 CFM fan for the big smoker.
It works well but only has one food probe. I am thinking about upgrading to a CyberQ Wifi which has three food probes and can also be set up to monitor from your computer or Android device.
I have a Maverick 733 but stopped using it because of erratic pit temps.
I have no experience with the Stoker controller.

I have a CyberQ WiFi. I like being able to check on the pit from anywhere over WiFi and the food probes are nice but I've stopped using it for controlling the pit. It always seemed to choke the fire and cause me to oversmoke the food.

I have been using Guru DigiQ DX2 on my 22" WSM for 2 years now. It will hold any temp you want. This works great for me as I never use food probes, just pit probes. If you need more probes, the CyberQ as mentioned above has more probes. Guru has been spot on, and as jrben1, I use it on my cabinet smoker as well.

Tech is fine but i'd keep it out of the BBQ world....I agree it's not needed for something like the WSM. I am a recovering BBQ techie myself. Plus or minus 25* or so will not hurt anything.

Enjoy building a fire, tending your pit and get the satisfaction knowing you got the temp dialed in that can sustain the cook with no need for electronics. JMO

Enjoy building a fire, tending your pit and get the satisfaction knowing you got the temp dialed in that can sustain the cook with no need for electronics. JMO

Love that idea, some day when I retire! But for now, I love my Arberins controller. Set it and go do another chore or two!

I have a WSM 22.5 and a Pitmaster IQ 120. I only use it for longer cooks and then only if I plan to get some sleep or have other work to do where I might not be paying as much attention to the grill.

The IQ connects over one of the lower vents of the WSM. I am pretty sure you could swap it between the 18.5 and the 22.5. There is no WiFi or bluetooth on it, just set the desired temp and it controls keeps it around there. I use a Maverick to give me a visual reference and an alarm in case something goes wrong. Hasn't yet.

I also have the Guru DigiQ DX2 with 10 cm Pit Viper. I use it on my 18.5" WSM for longer, overnight cooks like pork. I usually cook those at 225, and it will hold rock steady all night long, so I am able to get some sleep with that added reassurance. I also rigged up an adapter for my UDS - figured I would keep it ugly instead of spend the money. Works great. I don't know if I would spend the money on a new one. Since mine came with the WSM (all for just $200!) it was like a bonus and I have been very happy with it. No issues at all.

I can't recommend the Stoker enough. It has the ability to run up to three pits, a huge plus with competitions. I have an 18 and a 22 running on the same computer.

The PartyQ is still available but has been changed from a one-piece unit. I think it may also be more expensive now at $150 with the adapter. Don't remember what I paid for mine but am very happy with it. I recharge 4 2A batteries and can easily go all night at 225 degrees.

I've got the Pitmaster IQ120 and I swear it seems like it was made for the WSM. It will hold my temps steadier than the oven in the house. I also like that it not only has a probe to monitor and control my temps, but has an additional probe for monitoring my meat temps so no need for an additional device for that. You can even toggle the screen to switch back and forth between pit temp and meat temp every few seconds.

To any naysayers on controllers, it is the individual's preference as to how much piece of mind a person wants. I can sleep good during an all night cook knowing my Pitmaster has the conn!

Love my CyberQ Wifi. A pain to initially set up over Wifi, but it does an incredible job holding temps on my egg for long periods unattended.

JM2C if you need a ATC to make your WSM behave you need a Pellet pooper or Cook hotter, start later, for less time and sleep all night. I don't light a fire before 0700 and dinner is promptly at 1700hrs Butts brisket it don't matter.

I'm doing just fine the way I'm going Jlue2awg! :biggrin1: I have been wanting a pellet pooper, but not for overnight cooks. Pellet poopers can bridge in the middle of the night, I don't like cooking hotter, and I generally like when I start and how I time everything out.

JM2C if you need a ATC to make your WSM behave you need a Pellet pooper or Cook hotter, start later, for less time and sleep all night. I don't light a fire before 0700 and dinner is promptly at 1700hrs Butts brisket it don't matter.

I agree with this to a point. I cook hot and fast when cooking for dinner. I wake up at my normal time between 7-8am, get the pit started and add my brisket or butt by 930am. I serve dinner anywhere between 630-730pm.

If service is for lunch, I either cook all night on my UDS with my Pitmaster IQ110. This allows me enough peace of mind to get 2-3 hours of sleep, and a few cat naps. I rarely have to have meat ready by noon though, so this isn't a big issue other than I am having my big cookouts and I need to rotate between butts/packers to ribs.

Temperature controllers do have their purpose, but to rely on them constantly just isn't my bag of tea. I like knowing my kettles and UDS to the point so well, that starting them isn't an issue and if I don't have power I know I can work out a timeline and cook without any issue.

I'll throw my 2¢ in with the heatermeter. If you like tech then building your own controller, or you can now get them partially pre-built with thermocouple support. For the price of building one, no other controller has all the options a heatermeter has for under 200.

But, like what other have said, learn to control the smoker first without using a controller and then if you find you still want one then decide on which controller would be best for you.

Tech is fine but i'd keep it out of the BBQ world....I agree it's not needed for something like the WSM. I am a recovering BBQ techie myself. Plus or minus 25* or so will not hurt anything.

I like this. And for the past few months that's how its been. The only word to describe it is, Rewarding.

I just need the device for the long cooks. 4 year olds with endless energy are hard to keep up with on only a few hours.

Back