• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chef's Choice

WannaBeBBQueen

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Question, the first of many I'm sure...lol

I'm entering my first BBQ Cook-off (non-sanctioned) there are three categories to compete in Chicken, Ribs and Chef's Choice.

Chef's Choice, wow that threw me for a loop, what should I make? I have no idea, the only restriction was that it not be a dessert. What would the judges wanna see? I know 2 will be KCBS, a couple others from local restaurants and I think a radio DJ. I would love to have some ideas what you guys would do :) thanks.

Hi Julie. That's why they call it Chef's Choice. It's up to you. Other than BBQ what do you like to cook the most? What's your favorite dish? Some sort of seafood is always good. Judges like to see creativity, something different.

In the open category like this you can get really creative which a good thing and a bad thing. You can keep the meat theme or really try to do something different. I am assuming this is not a side type category but considering they said no dessert it sounds like anything goes. Try something from another region of the country, cajun or something. If it will be really warm there try something refreshing like some sort of salad. The sky is literally the limit. I have seen ice cream in this type of thing and it killed evereything else...but that's a dessert. I know this has not helped one bit but I will keep thinking about it.

Some ideas, Julie, depending on how much time you have and how much effort you want to expend :-D

Stuffed Pork Loin - some of the group have used this in competition before. Do a search and you'll find all of the details on how to make it look great. basically you take a pork loin (not a tenderloin), make an opening in it lengthwise (you can use a long knife or you can get fancy and use a pipe to cut a perfectly round hole in it) and then stuff it with your favorite sausage. I sue a maple fatty that I roll out to the right length and diameter and then freeze to make it easier to stuff into the loin. It tastes great and looks cool when you slice it.

Grilled Tuna with a fruit salsa - Just buy some nice tuna steaks, season and sear, and then serve with a fresh fruit salsa on top. I make a mango salsa that has mangos, red ionions and jalapenos in it. No recipe, just whatever feels right.

Hope that gets you thinking!

The event is Sept 9th in Hillsborough, NJ. It is limited to 30 teams and this is the second year it's being done. It's a fundraiser for the Fire Dept. 22 teams competed last year. So I thought for a 100.00 it would be a good place to start. I'm waiting to get the application in an email. I spoke to the guy who runs it last night and he said he'd email it to me this week. I want to get my check in quick so I don't miss out. It's only for trophies... no money, but that doesn't mean a thing to me. If you would like anymore info or would like me to forward the application to you, just PM me with your private email addy :)
BrooklynQ said:
Julie - where and when's the event?

Last edited:
Wow, gotta say that pork loin sounds outrageous, shhh don't tell anyone else...lol, think I'm gonna run that by the team :) Thanks and I would still love to hear more ideas :)
Ron_L said:
Some ideas, Julie, depending on how much time you have and how much effort you want to expend :-D

Stuffed Pork Loin - some of the group have used this in competition before. Do a search and you'll find all of the details on how to make it look great. basically you take a pork loin (not a tenderloin), make an opening in it lengthwise (you can use a long knife or you can get fancy and use a pipe to cut a perfectly round hole in it) and then stuff it with your favorite sausage. I sue a maple fatty that I roll out to the right length and diameter and then freeze to make it easier to stuff into the loin. It tastes great and looks cool when you slice it.

Grilled Tuna with a fruit salsa - Just buy some nice tuna steaks, season and sear, and then serve with a fresh fruit salsa on top. I make a mango salsa that has mangos, red ionions and jalapenos in it. No recipe, just whatever feels right.

Hope that gets you thinking!

Last edited:
Oh yeah - the No Fire Just Smoke contest that Ribs Within is holding. I'm planning on going to that too. I talked about it on my blog.

It looks like a fun event. I thought it was 3 categories, Ribs, Chicken and Anything But. Right now it's throphies only, but Laura told me that they're trying to raise some prize money.

Julie--

I think BrooklynQ (Robert) and I will be down there for that event. The folks running that event are nice people.

Hope to see you there! Oh, great signature....

Do steak, seems to have won the top two at an ealier contest:wink: I guess the judges like it plain and simple(no croatian cevapcici for sure)

You BIG GUNS are gonna scare the poor girl off!!
As a judge I would suggest a nice fruit bowl (berries or peaches) with maybe a liquor based sauce, or is that cosidered a dessert?
What I've been looking for is a nice jumbo shrimp coctail with a nice spicey tomato/horseradish dip....
Good luck and have fun!!
ModelMaker

Grilled beef tenderloin rested in a garlic butter bath.

WannaBeBBQueen said:
Question, the first of many I'm sure...lol

I'm entering my first BBQ Cook-off (non-sanctioned) there are three categories to compete in Chicken, Ribs and Chef's Choice.

Chef's Choice, wow that threw me for a loop, what should I make? I have no idea, the only restriction was that it not be a dessert. What would the judges wanna see? I know 2 will be KCBS, a couple others from local restaurants and I think a radio DJ. I would love to have some ideas what you guys would do :) thanks.

Prime rib is so easy, and also looks great, and isn't as dependent as some other meats to be hot (it's good at room temp)... with some homemade sour cream horseradish sauce, it's killer.

Last edited:
I had a 2nd out of 150 with a smoked trout. Brine and smoke. Simple, good flavor and moiste.

is that an inside tip, because you guys cleaned up this weekend, congrats!!:biggrin: sounds yummy, will add to my list of ideas, ty.
ique said:
Grilled beef tenderloin rested in a garlic butter bath.

Back