My First Smoke... Ever

Awesome post! As another newb this was really helpfull. I also have a SN'G and did my first smoke this past weekend of two pork shoulders that i marinated in brine*24hrs then added a rub*12hours. Although I am still working on the blue smoke, I still had great pulled pork after a 6hr smoke.

well now let's see what else i can add to this, ummmmmmm!!!!! not much and it was all said just the way i would have said it. good luck on your first smoke and many there after. :p:p:p

Ok for your next try start with....
millerlite-18pack-side.jpg

B3 post as you go. Should be plenty of support on line this weekend.

The most important thing to remember is this:
worthless_thread_without_pics.gif

Take pictures at the begining, the middle, the end of the cook, and then post them. :mrgreen:

you dont even need a thermometer, when it comes off looking like a big blob of jello, you nailed it,.

Actually, part of the above statement is correct... You really don't need a meat thermometer, the meat come comes with one that is far more accurate than any probe thermometer that you can get. It's custom made for each butt!

Another way of telling if your 'Boston Butt' is done is if you can remove the bone easily and cleanly. What you'll find is that as the roast cooks the meat is going to 'Pull Back' from the bone. Grab the bone with a set of tongs (or if your hands are REALLY callused, your fingers) and give it a tug. If it doesn't move, you've still got a fair amount of time, if it wiggles but doesn't come out easily, your getting close, if it comes out easily, your done, and if you find it next to the smoker and the meat is gone, you need to talk to your neighboor...

I started small. To be honest they were not whole pork shoulders (no bone); and they were only a couple of pounds. But I waited untill they just sorta fell apart so to speak and the meat was knife tender. We ate most of it after it had cooled down the same night!

I started small. To be honest they were not whole pork shoulders (no bone); and they were only a couple of pounds. But I waited untill they just sorta fell apart so to speak and the meat was knife tender. We ate most of it after it had cooled down the same night!
Trust me, there is nothing wrong with starting small... It can be intimidating... Just trust in your skills and if you have a question, ask it. It's that easy.:icon_cool

BTW... If you enjoyed it, you did it right. :wink:

Ok... I seasoned the can last night and that went well. I was able to get up over 300° pretty easily, and then I started trying to control the temp. I realized there are two very basic ways to adjust the temp: the fire and the air flow. So, question 1 is which is preferred? Does it matter?

keep the stack wide open and regulate the intakes as far open as possible to keep a fire (Blue Smoke) vs smoldering (White smoke).
From this, it sounds like I should give it as much air as possible and adjust the fire accordingly. True? Not?

Question 2 has to do with the left over coal and ash once the food comes off the grate. Do you just let the fire burn out, or can you save the remaining coals in any way?

Big Jim: I hadn't realized the seasoning could give me a chance to practice temp control. I'll be sure to tend it closely, and I won't forget to have fun. Thanks.

D-Master: Is Christmas early this year? That is more advise than any newbie deserves. I assure you, it is much appreciated. While my butt meditates in the cooler, I'll also make it write your name 100 times on the blackboard.

Skidder: I'm still on the lookout for a digital thermo to stick in the meat that I can view outside the can. I've seen a few digital displays with leads in pictures on the forums. Any idea where I could pick one up?

Well, I've got the coal, a chimney starter, and my PAM all ready to go. I'm going to season/practice tomorrow evening. Ya'll are awesome.

"Ya'll"? Hmm, people look at me funny when I say that while visiting my friends in Columbus! Welcome!

Ok... I seasoned the can last night and that went well. I was able to get up over 300° pretty easily, and then I started trying to control the temp. I realized there are two very basic ways to adjust the temp: the fire and the air flow. So, question 1 is which is preferred? Does it matter? From this, it sounds like I should give it as much air as possible and adjust the fire accordingly. True? Not?

Keep the exhaust stack open 100%. Adjust the fire by throttling down the air intakes. If you still have problems with low temps... check for air leaks... gaps in the lid/box openings. Use aluminum foil folded several times as a temp gasket.

Question 2 has to do with the left over coal and ash once the food comes off the grate. Do you just let the fire burn out, or can you save the remaining coals in any way?

If you are running a very efficient burner that allows you to choke out the fire 100%... go for it.

Ok... I seasoned the can last night and that went well. I was able to get up over 300° pretty easily, and then I started trying to control the temp. I realized there are two very basic ways to adjust the temp: the fire and the air flow. So, question 1 is which is preferred? Does it matter?
Can I say both? Actually if you use the "Minion Method" (this is a great description I found on the VWB site - http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html) you shouldn't have all that many problems. I like to try and keep the upper vent open (allowing the smoke to escape) and control the heat with the lower vents. You may find that you don't need them open very much at all, just a hair...

From this, it sounds like I should give it as much air as possible and adjust the fire accordingly. True? Not?
I like to do it the other way around... If you give it to much air the temp of the cooker is going to really run away from you... Again, the Minion is your friend...

I like to close the cooker all the way down and just let them die out... I should note that depending on air leakage, this could take a day so don't just toss them into the trash... I have a small metal trash can that I put all of my ashes into and let them cool (usually for a week) before I toss them out...

I like to close the cooker all the way down and just let them die out... I should note that depending on air leakage, this could take a day so don't just toss them into the trash... I have a small metal trash can that I put all of my ashes into and let them cool (usually for a week) before I toss them out...

True enuff.. watch out for those 'warm embers' when scooping out the firepit 24 hours later... (a bbq floor mat is helpful here).... and wear shoes when doing it... don't ask me how I know that. Having a hotflash in bare feet is no fun (too lazy mod).

Hi B3 - welcome to the party.
Use your air intakes to control your fire - and leave the exhaust wide open if you can.
As far as left over coals - after taking off your meat, shut down the intake and exhaust to put out the fire. Next day shake off the ash and keep the unused coals for your next cook.
Good luck with your butt - you got great advice from everyone so far. Take your time, make sure you allow some time to reset the butt in a warm dry cooler, and have fun. This quickly becomes an obsession.

Oh yeah - one more thing... throw on a fattie or 2.

"Ya'll"? Hmm, people look at me funny when I say that while visiting my friends in Columbus! Welcome!
I may live in Columbus, but that's not where my family comes from. I've also been known to throw out a "yins." Perhaps that's the Ohio dialect.

Well good luck this weekend and GO BUCKS!! Second i have listened and learned the knowledge of smoke in this site should definetly make life with a smoker much much more enjoyable!!!

I'm cooking on a UDS, but similar ideas apply:

- I found that I do temp control as it's climbing. If I over shoot, it takes some time on my drum to bring it back down. Easier to catch your cook temp on the way up...

- I don't ever change my exhaust, I regulate temp with my air intake. (Or spray bottle it something really get burning way too hot)

- How many coals you start affects how quick your air adjustments take effect. But don't play with the air too much. It takes some time for it to react, settle into a zone and just cruise along.

On the other hand, don't freak out/worry with cook temp on a butt too much. If it spikes for a little to 325, or drops to 200, you didn't ruin it, just adjust and get your smoker back to where you want it.

I agree. Out of all the meats you could have selected, Boston Butt is the most forgiving for your first cook.

If your temps get way out of wack (325* and above) you can even pull it off of the cooker until you get them back under control and then put it back on. Remember, you are cooking this for a long time, so as long as you don't burn it, it's still going to be good.

Well, I've got the meat in the cooker and I'm running into a couple problems. The first is with my wood chips. When I went to get the smoking wood at the store, they only had chips, so that's what I got. These little things are burning up so fast, I feel like I'm wasting them. So, I wrapped some up in foil, poked some holes, and put the pouch directly on the coals. I read that could help them smoke longer, but I'm not getting any smoke from it. Suggestions?

Second, because I'm using a Smoke 'N Grill, the temp is being very inconsistent. I've seen the mods people recommend and I've quickly learned how some of them could help. For instance, the temp was pretty good for the first hour or so, but then it dropped considerably. While I can lower the temp in the cooker by opening up the lid slightly, I don't know of a good way to raise the temp. There is no control of the air intake. So, when the temp dropped, I resorted to adding a bit of coal with tongs through the access door. Keeping in mind that this is a stock SnG, any suggestions on temp control?

Back