• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Your WORST Box Ever! (What Not to Turn in!)

Jeff awesome thread! This is from Pleasant Hill 2008! This is known as "Brisket Salad". I was afraid to add tomatoes for fear of getting DQ'ed

PleasantHillMOContestApril4thand-16.jpg

I love this, cause I can make some ugly boxes:icon_blush:

First brisket box, IBCA contest in Darbonne, La last year. Had to cut off the side cause I used a colored toothpick and turned the meat blue:biggrin:, and it was just a trainwreck of a brisket anyway:redface: Should have been DQ'd.

IMG_0096.jpg

and here's an ugly pork box from Memphis this year. Looked good to me at the time:rolleyes:

IMG_0778.jpg

I'm pretty sure they noticed. Wow! That really sucks! :lol:

I wasn't even going to turn it in, but my wife made me.
What is really bad is that it took 4th place (out of 9 teams) in a non-sanctioned comp.:biggrin:

I think the judges might not have had many teeth. Chewing your brisket is over-rated anyway.

LOL! This is hilarious! Glad I got the ball rolling! Keep adding! And Arlin's idea to sticky it... perfect!!!

Hey Vinny, looks like someone threw up in your turn-in box! You should keep the boxes more secure before you fill them! :twisted::lol:

First brisket box, IBCA contest in Darbonne, La last year. Had to cut off the side cause I used a colored toothpick and turned the meat blue:biggrin:, and it was just a trainwreck of a brisket anyway:redface: Should have been DQ'd.

Rodger, your brisket has chickenpox. :biggrin:

Hey Vinny, looks like someone threw up in your turn-in box! You should keep the boxes more secure before you fill them! :twisted::lol:

I was thinking it went through a press.

Anyway, it's great to know that most everyone went through the learning curve and still might have a bad box from time to time.

OK, I've got the worst of the worst right here! (Johnny would kill me if he knew I posted this pic). What do you do when you burn up fresh trout? Why smother it in Dijion mustard of course!

DISCLAIMER - While my team did actually present this box to the judges at Dillard, I personally had nothing to do with it. Really. You do believe me, right? :oops:

nuff said .... yuk..

but it was our first contest and it took 5th. The parsley in the middle covered a huge hole in the brisket.

Attachments

• PICT0025.jpg
    PICT0025.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 3,499
Ask and you shall receive !!!

Aside from the rack dropping fiasco :icon_pissed, this box was also very lousy in that it was the first time ans only time I cooked thighs in competition.

Even worse when you rely on the 13th place chicken king to do your trimming. We ended up torching the few remaining ones that would not get anyone sick on a Kettle to make up for lost time. Skin shriveled up quickly.

This is a really chitty box... but the good news was that four other boxes placed worse than this one (68th of 72) :biggrin:

Look at the bright side, it wasnt DAL!

GREAT thread Jeff!!:eusa_clap

Pics of my 1st comp boxes.

I just call them the "salad explosion" boxes....and oh yeah....the probe
holes in the brisket too:oops::roll:

Insert your probe the same direction you will cut with the knife ya big dummy!!:roll::lol:

And let's not forget my train wreck of a pork box this year when my brain took
a vacation after my rib box got DQ'd for not being completely cut through.:oops:.......
MAN, I'm STILL ashamed of that rib and pork box!!:oops:
Oh well, live and learn........

Attachments

• 2007_0714Image0252.jpg
    2007_0714Image0252.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 3,309
  • 2007_0714Image0255.jpg
    2007_0714Image0255.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 3,310
  • 2007_0714Image0256.jpg
    2007_0714Image0256.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 3,307
  • 2007_0714Image0258.jpg
    2007_0714Image0258.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 3,306
  • IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 3,300
DQ'd? Shouldn't you have just received a taste 1 and tenderness 1 from any judges that were not able to get a sample?

Thanks to all of you. I guess we novices can learn as much from what not to do as we can from what you should do. It's very obvious you all have a great perspective.

Back