smoke flavoring spice

Don Jeansonne

Reaction score
I am having trouble getting smoked paprika locally which I use in my spice rub. I started looking into any alternatives and came across hickory smoke flavoring in dry form which seems to be used by several commerical brands of rubs.
My question is does anyone use this in their rubs and what are the measures used in recipes? I hate to just go at it hit-or-miss. Need a starting point.

You can smoke sea salt with good results. Do not smoke regular paprika. It is a pepper that is smoked before being ground. You can also make your own liquid smoke.

Also go to your Mexican supermarket and get some peppers. Anchos poblanos jalapeno serano and whatever else they have and smoke them before grinding. Makes the best homemade chili powder.

I would taste the hickory smoke powder, yes, straight, and see how strong it is. Then taking a measured amount of rub, add small amounts and keep tasting until it tastes right. If you have it, use a 1/16 teaspoon measure and work up. You will get a sense of when it is right, assuming you have tasted your rub straight. In this manner, you will find the proper amount to use.

Although I like smoked salt, if you already have salt dialed in, you might want to use the hickory smoke powder instead.

The amount I use is about 1/3 the amount of salt I use in my rub.

You can mix it with anything to give it a smoke flavor, but it's not as strong as Liquid Smoke. So, if you're using it in anything wet, use the Liquid Smoke instead, but for rubs and such as you're talking about I like it.

smoke flavoring

The amount I use is about 1/3 the amount of salt I use in my rub.

You can mix it with anything to give it a smoke flavor, but it's not as strong as Liquid Smoke. So, if you're using it in anything wet, use the Liquid Smoke instead, but for rubs and such as you're talking about I like it.

I found some place to order smoked paprika but I do like the idea of adding the smoke flavoring. I think it gives me more options. I appreciate the rule of thumb relative to the salt. I think it is a good place to start.

Thanks

Back