• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Just as Jturk asked (and if it was answered, sorry) but do you wrap the brisket in paper to rest only, or do you put it back on the smoker, just like foil? No worries about burning or anything?

Just as Jturk asked (and if it was answered, sorry) but do you wrap the brisket in paper to rest only, or do you put it back on the smoker, just like foil? No worries about burning or anything?

In the extreme barbecue recipe, you cook it for 5 hours in the butcher paper. I have not tried that yet. This discussion is just getting good. :)

yes it is, I would like to see how well this really works out because all you ever hear is foil.

this is just brisket why would you wrap. does anybody wrap a steak .I would say the only reason to wrap would be to hold it for comps. or catering I like wrapping mine in bread.

The Texas joints seem mostly use the red butcher paper. We have white around here. I was thinking about ordering in some of the red stuff to see how it differs.

Donny -- you have any opinion on the red stuff vs. white?

The red stuff wil not enhance the smoke ring. :p I can't find it round here for some reason. I am gonna start needing it because my charity project are all served on paper.

You know, butcher paper is a good thing to get personalized with your own business on it, web site, phone number and stuff

and then there is this opinion, which is welcomed here as well

this is just brisket why would you wrap. does anybody wrap a steak .I would say the only reason to wrap would be to hold it for comps. or catering I like wrapping mine in bread.

This thread is killing me! :twisted:
I have a brisket on right now and you guys have me dying to wrap it in butcher paper. Buuuuut... I'm trying a different injection today and I only want to change one variable at a time. I guess next time I can experiment with the butcher paper.
I'll be following this closely. This is what makes the Brethren special!

I can not say enough about how wise this person is. One element at a time is good science. If we get close I may tell you about the ultimate injec... no, no...shhhh

and to answer questions YES I have smoked briskets wrapped in the smoker at under 300. The tighter the better.

Hey Funkmaster, I ordered a roll last week from this place.
http://www.pospaper.com/18pbp.html

I wished that it had been 24" but it isn't.
Price wasn't bad but the shipping is a bit stiff.

Weiser

The red stuff wil not enhance the smoke ring. :p I can't find it round here for some reason. I am gonna start needing it because my charity project are all served on paper.

You know, butcher paper is a good thing to get personalized with your own business on it, web site, phone number and stuff

Ohh I will stay with Sams 24" white at 1000 feet for 17.99 a roll

I dunno.... something about the Red paper.
People in these parts consider it the real deal.
A 1000 foot roll will last a while and it doesn't contain bleach like the white stuff.

Weiser
Remember, "ya eat with your eyes."

Ohh I will stay with Sams 24" white at 1000 feet for 17.99 a roll

When wrapping to either rest or put back on, do you use tape or just lay it flat on the folded side?

Been reading this thread and just want to make sure I understand. This is a new technique for me. One way would be to wrap the brisket in butchers paper instead of foil and put back on the smoker. Right? So the butchers paper won't turn to dust and stick to the meat but somewhat, somehow, kind of, sorta, steams the meat? Do you keep it in the butchers paper if you put in the cooler to rest? This may sound like I am a little confused because I am a little confused. Thanks brethren.

Hey Paul, thanks now I don't feel so bad about knowing nothing about this subject. Memphis in May coming up soon bro? You and your lovely bride ready for a party down there?

No tape Meat and it is just fine going from the smoker to the cooler.
It really does work and yes, it does steam to a point.
It is a neat technique and one worth trying. If you don't want
to rush out to purchase a roll of Red paper, try a brown grocery bag.
Same results, but remember to wrap it tight.

Weiser

Been reading this thread and just want to make sure I understand. This is a new technique for me. One way would be to wrap the brisket in butchers paper instead of foil and put back on the smoker. Right? So the butchers paper won't turn to dust and stick to the meat but somewhat, somehow, kind of, sorta, steams the meat? Do you keep it in the butchers paper if you put in the cooler to rest? This may sound like I am a little confused because I am a little confused. Thanks brethren.

Thanks Weiser. It just seems a little odd but I am definately going to try it. Appreciate your advise. Do you recommend to double wrap or is just a good single layer wrapped tight good enough?

Hey Funkmaster, I ordered a roll last week from this place.
http://www.pospaper.com/18pbp.html

I wished that it had been 24" but it isn't.
Price wasn't bad but the shipping is a bit stiff.

Weiser

The website says they have 24" as well as 36". Thanks for the link.
I am going to ask my butcher where he gets his white paper. Perhaps he can order me some red with little or no shipping cost.

I dunno.... something about the Red paper.
People in these parts consider it the real deal.
A 1000 foot roll will last a while and it doesn't contain bleach like the white stuff.

Weiser
Remember, "ya eat with your eyes."

Will the bleach leech into the meat and give you Alzheimers? :-D

I just wanna thank Donny for posting in a style I can understand. I have always known he knew his chit, but have never been able to get past the language barrier. Thanks Donny!
Thanks to the rest of you who have contributed to this thread also!

Back