• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Learning to grill and smoke

A

Amateur BBQist

I've been an amateur for too long with too many mistakes. Does anyone know of any good classes, books etc. that will teach me to become better at grilling and smoking.

My food has gotten better just from reading the posts here and learning from the folks on this site. I doubt more cookbooks will help, but I know in the Northwest some people put on 1 or 2 day grilling and smoking classes. Maybe take a look at Groupon or something, I have seen on there a grilling class and it was like half price. Good luck.

Using the search tool at the bottom of the page can open a whole new world to you. I also keep a copy of Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue handy, not so much for the recipes but he includes some helpful time & temp tables and some pretty good narratives on overall technique for different cuts of meat. Best of luck.

Follow this simple rule.
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

BBQ isn't rocket science and things are better simple more times than not.
1)Don't chase temps...not that important. A range plus or - 25* is all good
2) Simple rubs...such as salt pepper onion and garlic (spog)
3) Have a good food thermometer and keep in mind carry over cooking...especially on larger cuts.
4) A small hot fire is the key to the best smoke. The more smoldering you have the worse the smoke.

I watch A lot of YouTube BBQ videos
ManCave Meals( gone)
BBQPitBoys
Kamado Joe Channel
Malcolm Reed
Bunch more.......

Kenmore 4 burner pos w/searing burner added.
WSM 18.5" smoker
Smoke hollow electric wood smoker
Weber 22.5" charcoal grill
Pitmaster IQ 120

This your Cookers? You are Good on Equipment then. :thumb:
Pork Shoulder - Butts n Picnics are easiest, Briskets are Hard to get right.

You could pay me 10,000.00 for 1 week of private lessons:heh: Anything you can cook in an oven you can BBQ and the recipes are already written out with the right cook temps Man I luv Betty Crocker & Julia Child:icon_smile_tongue:. Most anything that can be cooked in a skillet can be grilled.

Most important BBQ lesson you need to learn:

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There Are exceptions to these rules; Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast or Roasts( Prime rib, Pork loin.....) that need to be cooked to less than well.

The books noted in the previous posts are all good. I have them and use as a starting point. The first thing I ever smoked was a butt and it came out pretty darn good. Get a Thermapen and take notes for all cooks. Stay away from making your own rubs unless you use something simple. One of the most important things in my opinion is grill and food temp. Know when to take off the meat.

a lot of good advice here already, Listen to bludawg. Cook by feel, it's the best way to learn the meat and when it is done. But really other than that it's pretty simple. are there specific problems you are encountering? or is the food just not coming out as good as you expect?

This your Cookers? You are Good on Equipment then. :thumb:
Pork Shoulder - Butts n Picnics are easiest, Briskets are Hard to get right.

Yep, I'm ready to learn some skills with this arsenal. I've made some great smoked meat in the past. I've only made a brisket once and it turned out perfect. I've smoked turkey, whole chicken, pork tender loin, all with great results. I've also ruined some cooks. This winter, I'm off work so I'm starting a new hobby, It's smoking and grilling. I ruined the smoked thanksgiving turkey this year, the WSM wouldn't get to temp, It was too windy. That's why I bought the pitmaster IQ 120 to maintain temps. Two days ago, I tried a pork shoulder with it. After an hour in, and the temp not getting hot enough, I realized the IQ wasn't working properly. The intake melted somehow and blocked the airflow. I cut that part off and got it working but another hour or more in and I realized I needed to change the fan speed. I finally learned how to program it but I had to leave for a few hours. I came home and it was undercooked. Sorry for the rambling but long story short, I want to be near perfect at grilling and smoking by the time I go back to work in march.

I've been an amateur for too long with too many mistakes. Does anyone know of any good classes, books etc. that will teach me to become better at grilling and smoking.

Practice and ask alot of questions. I sometimes feel like I ask too many but there are some good people here willing to help.

I have no clue how to poke and know if it is done.
First decide on what you are going to use for a pobe
Place a stick of butter on the counter overnight
In the morning take your probe close your eyes and poke the butter do this several times
This is the "feel". When you probe your meat it is done when it feels like the butter.

Back