• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

ruined babybacks

dreadedlyfe

Found some matches.
Reaction score
tried the 3-2-1-methid on my babybacks., on my uds. way overdone. as it was my first try, i still feel let down. what exactly did i do wrong? any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance. still have a pork butt on the smoker, btw.

tried the 3-2-1-methid on my babybacks., on my uds. way overdone. as it was my first try, i still feel let down. what exactly did i do wrong? any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance. still have a pork butt on the smoker, btw.

I killed a couple of racks last weekend so I feel your pain. the members on here helped me figure out ehat I thought was overdone was actually underdone. With that said what makes you feel they were over cooked?

Babybacks don't use the 3-2-1 method. I have seen 2-2-1 or 2-2 or some variation of that for babybacks. I am guessing you just cooked them too long but you didn't say the temp you cooked them at. That could be part of the problem as well.

Way overdone as in they weren't holding on to the bone at all or way overdone as in they were dry and tough?

And oifmarine2003 is right - 3-2-1 is more commonly used for spare ribs.

How may racks of ribs have you cooked?

It took me about 30 tries to get really excellent ribs. And you need to practice often as well. At least once a week. Also be sure to keep a log so that you will remember what you did last time and what you want to change for this time. That helps a lot.

Above all else . . . have fun!

I have over cooked/smoked meat a couple of times.
I have wrapped in H/D aluminum foil and added apple juice and put them back on the fire for an hour. Call it steaming/cheating but it has saved the meat. Bark will be a bit mush but the food was rehydrated but very good to eat.

BB's on UDS

I conquered pulled pork and brisket on my UDS before I was able to get my ribs close.

Kept over cooking and hand fall off the bone ribs. Then, after asking for help here, started cooking them at 250º for 3 hours. No foil, no looking.

Start checking 'em after 3 hours with a tooth pick, every rack is different, but you'll be in the ball park @ 3 hours and you'll be happy. Slight tug, moist and tender.

Good luck.

I believe you just can't go by time, or for that matter, temperature alone when smoking. Each piece of meat will be done when it is done. With ribs you need to use the bend test or toothpick test for each and every slab.

I did the same thing on my Bradley smoker the other day. Doesn't it just piss you off when you ruin a cook!!!! I think 6 hours is way to long. The 2-2 method at 225* worked better for me.

Ribs: Simple works!

1) Baby backs: 3 hours @ 265°
2) Spares: 4 hours @ 265°

I use foil on the heat deflector for easy clean up. That's about as close as foil gets to my food while it's being cooked.

With baby backs I have good luck in the drum smoker with a two hour cook. No more do I overcook ribs. 325-350 degrees raised grid, indirect drip pan setup below. Apple or hickory wood smoke.
1/2 hour bone side down.
1/2 hour bone side up.
1/2 hour in foil.
Remove foil and indirect setup.
1/2 hour over direct heat flipping often with a rib juice (mop) or sauce until the edges crisp up and ribs darken to the color of a sunset. Then I'm done.:clap2:

Just to be clear, spares and loin backs have different meat structure. Spares are more fatty and take longer to cook. Loin backs are leaner, and cook up a lot faster. I can easily finish loin backs in 3 hours starting out at 250 for first hour, then cranking up heat to 300 till they are "done". No foil is needed for ribs... ever! Think if all the extra racks of ribs you could buy if you didn't spend all that money on foil?

I found 2hours in foil is way too long...I tried 2-1-1...still too long in foil so now I go 2 then 45 minutes in foil....unwrap and cook til they pass the bend test....final satge varys from slab to slab..some times 15 min...sometimes over an hour

Back