Farmers Market 2013

daninnewjersey

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Last summer was my first farmer's market and it went really well. I was asked back this summer so of course I jumped at the opportunity. Our first day was supposed to be a week from yesterday. Unfortunately there were thunderstorms galore so the people running the market wisely cancelled last week.
So yesterday was the first day and what a beautiful day it was. Kids in these parts are not out of school yet so I planned on only a so-so turnout. I went light on the ribs and cooked 24 racks hoping some people would show up. The market starts at 8:30AM sharp, runs until 12:30pm and to my surprise I had sold 10 racks in the first half hour. I couldn't believe it but by 11:AM we were sold out. Had to turn a bunch of people away.

Now the really cool part...I get a call from a friend saying "dude you're famous". I said don't F with me what's up? Apparently some famous food critic from Philadelphia was there and bought a rack. This morning he posted on Twitter the following.....I couldn't believe it..
https://twitter.com/CraigLaBan/status/347857949529624576

Honestly I had never heard of this guy but some people in the industry said he's the biggest food critic around. I took a shot and emailed him. Much to my surprise he wrote back...said he really liked my food and I should probably make a few more racks next week since he has more than a few Twitter followers:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Anyway I'm certainly not trying to brag at all....just wanted to share with my Brethren some cool things that can happen in the BBQ world. Oh by the way....these are the smokers I used at the market. One of my buddies said "I can't believe people would eat ANYTHING that was in those greasy trash cans..." :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Last edited:
phooey - BRAG IT UP dude! that's saying a lot - great job, there's a lot to be proud about right there. I'm glad you have reposted your successes, I enjoyed your posts last year. Keep it up Brethren

That's so awesome Dan. I'm glad to hear it went so well for you. I myself am going to try and hit the Farmers market in my town this year and see how it goes!

That's so awesome Dan. I'm glad to hear it went so well for you. I myself am going to try and hit the Farmers market in my town this year and see how it goes!

Thanks guys for the kind words. While I'm no Big Mista...I have learned a few things. I'd be more than happy to share what little I know......

Thanks guys for the kind words. While I'm no Big Mista...I have learned a few things. I'd be more than happy to share what little I know......

What kind of permit or food license did you have to get? Do you have insurance(just in case)?

What do you sell the ribs for?

What kind of permit or food license did you have to get? Do you have insurance(just in case)?
What do you sell the ribs for?

I had to get licensed through the health dept. They want to know EVERYTHING you're going to sell, how you're cooking it, keeping it warm, etc. You can't cook at home...only in an inspected kitchen. Luckily I'm able to use the kitchen at the restaurant where the market is so that's good. Insurance is a must....It's like $50/month....a bargain.

Regarding the ribs...It's kind of a higher end market...so $25/rack :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Congrats. Great compliment.

Keep it up, make some money, and beautify those smokers.
A good looking smoker will draw in a lot of passers-by that would otherwise keep walking.

beautify those smokers.
A good looking smoker will draw in a lot of passers-by that would otherwise keep walking.

While I do appreciate the kind words I'm gonna go with the old saying..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it.." :mrgreen:

People seem to be drawn to my magic trash cans....

Hey Dan, I'm so happy to see this new update! So happy for you we spoke last year and I wanted to do this so bad in my area. Westfield has a FM too but seems they are too busy to contact people who are looking to vend there. Also getting a commercial kitchen has been a challenge for me.

Much success and best of luck!!!!

Well.....week #2 for the market went very well. I upped the # of racks to 33 since the kids in this region finished school. Right out of the gate (8:30am opening) I had people in line. Burned through 15 racks in the first hour. slowed down..but stayed pretty steady....and by 10:45 we were sold out :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Got something really nice planned for next Thurs....buddy of mine got me use of a 250 gallon oil tank smoker. Cannot friggin wait....much more cooking capacity....much more. Plus, I'll keep one of the drums for warm holding...staying true to my roots :mrgreen:

Great news to hear that people are rockin the bbq market in NJ... If you ever want me to come down with my Lang 84 give me a holler.. Id be more than happy to come down, learn how the farmers market scene works as I have quiet a few around my way. Keep up the good work!

Back