Whole Packer Question

Gnomatic

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
On Wednesday, I swung by Restaurant Depot and picked myself up a brisket, a 15lb Superior Angus beaut! I fully intended to cook it this weekend, but I've been unexpectantly swamped with things, and came down with a pretty bad cold as well. I can't taste much in my current state, so I'd like to smoke it next weekend when I'll have more time and hopefully I'm feeling better.

My question is, is it safe to store a big hunk of beef in the fridge that long, or should I freeze it? The brisket is still in its cryovac packing and sealed. I know I've read it should be fine, but I guess I'm looking for a bit of reassurance. I'm not seeing a sell-by date on the package or sticker.

You can keep it in the fridge as long as the door doesn't get opened a whole lot. Even if it does you could put it all the way to the back, and it should be fine at only a week of aging.

I am really surprised it doesn't have a sell by date on it. I thought that was a legal requirement for Cryo'd stuff... Oh well. They are usually good for months when cryo'd. Get better!

I am really surprised it doesn't have a sell by date on it. I thought that was a legal requirement for Cryo'd stuff... Oh well. They are usually good for months when cryo'd. Get better!

^ +1 I agree, they usually have the date on the package or on the label if it is cryo'd because of the longer shelf life.

I've never had a date on any RD meat I've purchased and after getting spoiled ribs twice (they were obviously expired when opened), I'm done there.

So I guess I'll chance it. It'll be 10-11 days since I purchased it by the time I get around to the cook. Fingers crossed!

you should be able to hold it for at least a month, just trim the gray stuff off. As far as buying pork, I only buy ribs or butts by the case with the packing date on them from RD, I don't like anything, anywhere that sets in the display and gets handled by everyone, also I've never bought anything bad at RD.

unless that brisket was bad when you purchased it you have nothing to worry about. the last brisket i got from RD actually sat in my garage fridge for about 10 day with no problem.

I have a Choice grade Brisky in the fridge from Cash and Carry for 25 days now. Yours will be fine. I usually try and go for 20-30 days and never had a bad one yet. Nice and tender. Hope you get better soon.

As for the smell test, I think I have read on here that sometimes when you open the cryovac pack the meat will smell of sulfur. But if you rinse it it should go away. Is that correct? I have never bought cryo-ed meat but think I read that.

As for the smell test, I think I have read on here that sometimes when you open the cryovac pack the meat will smell of sulfur. But if you rinse it it should go away. Is that correct? I have never bought cryo-ed meat but think I read that.

I don't do smell test till meat has aired out a bit after opening. If I get off smell then, which is not often, I will rinse and resmell and reair a bit...if still off smell trash.

Interesting talk with butcher...The chain grocer had FRESH New Zealand boneless leg of lamb advertised. Being in atlantic Canada I questioned him about being fresh or previous frozen. He assured me of it being fresh cryro'd, showed me bb date couple weeks away and added he found bb date to be very accurate as the lamb would go off within a day or 2 of bb date.

Back