Wsm h/h advice needed

If you use a water pan, make sure to fill it with hot liquid. That way it wont steal your heat from your smoke to warm up the water. Also, dont be cheap and use a half basket of charcoal. Fill that baby up.

If you use a water pan, make sure to fill it with hot liquid. That way it wont steal your heat from your smoke to warm up the water. Also, dont be cheap and use a half basket of charcoal. Fill that baby up.

Water pan had sand & foil. I agree and always fill up the ring. Had an entire 16# blue bag and full weber chimney of lit.

check here:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/accessdoor.html

I ran my WSM 18 last night at ~325° by adding 2 chimneys of well lit lump and running all the vents wide open--I didn't have any unlit lump since it was going to be a short cook. I had the water pan empty and foiled. I've got the upside down door, but didn't really need to prop it open at all to hold temp.

Thanks bro unfortunately this mod won't work on my 22 b/c the opening is round at the top

Pull the water pan

What is in the water Pan? Do you have a wind brake set up?

Agree with above. No water in pan (but keep it in as a heat shield and drip pan).

It takes some serious coal to get a 22.5 up to those temps but they will last once your there.

All advice so far has been good. I did a mod on my door. Mounted a small bolt about 1/2" in from each upper corner.

It allows me to turn the door upside down, then I can pull it out (with bolts holding it) so it acts as an adjustable vent

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Update... I took the sand out the water pan and ran it empty but wrapped in foil. I was able to achieve temps high or low and the pit is MUCH more responsive when I adjust the vents.

Cooked some ribs at 270 f to perfection with an empty water pan. Thanks everyone!

Back