How do you keep a hog cold?

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I am adding whole hogs to my catering this year, I was wondering how you keep your hogs cold until you are ready to cook it?

I am in an area where I will have to get a hog the day before I want to cook it. So I will need a way to cooler large hogs.

Thanks

We keep ours cool in a Stock trough. Place it in a large garbage bag and seal it up then place it in the Stock trough and put a couple bags of ice in the cavity, then on the top. You may have to drain occasionally.

This is the method we use especially when cooking one during our hot and humid South Carolina summers

http://www.loomistank.com/steel-troughs-stock-tanks.shtml

try to find someone in the area with a walk in that you can use. if not you could try this. my brother in law has done this with 80# pigs. lay down an old sleeping bag with plastic on top. place pig on plastic then fill and surround with ice. pull all edges of plastic together and tie. then zip it all in to the sleeping bag. this was in the spring so we had mild temps and the garage floor was also cool. we checked piggys temp next morning and it was fine. still had most of ice and had less water than we expected. pig was cold from butcher. so you also need to know when its going to be butchered. you don't want to have to also worry about cooling it down in the first place.

Hi there,

I am Sam. I deal in Catering and Cooling equipments. If you want to keep hog cold then you can use commercial fridges and refrigerators. you have to place it in a large garbage bag and seal it so that air could not be able to enter into it. you can also put some ice cubes in it and keep it in the refrigerator. It will keep the hog fresh.

To bad this is not in Woodpile, I'd love to see the response.

I use a stock trough too. It's a large sheep watering trough. I can keep a hog iced down and covered until needed.
I've also used a plastic lined barrel filled with ice and water to chill a hog down after butchering. Works well.

I use a very large cooler I picked up at sams club. The cashier looked at the cooler and said "Geez you can use that for a coffin" he didn't know how close to the truth he was. I use sacks of ice and it works real well.

I like this but I am wondering the HD will think of it? How is it to clean up?

My HD never asked how i keep my pigs cold before cooking I wouldnt think they would even know to ask. its made of heavy duty plastic and i just open it up take a hose add some water and some bleach swish it around and let it sit a bit then rinse it out and do the same to the out side.

wrapping the hog in a foil emergency blanket also helps. We do this before cooking to help keep it cold (we usually pick our hog up from the butcher and go straight to the site, which in our case is a two hour drive in November in WA, so the blanket is enough to keep it cold) and then wrap it in the blanket for about two hours after cooking to "rest".

Back