• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Fec100 cook

N

n-2-que

Well wea re doing some Brisket/ribs/and chicken today. we are also trying out new power source Marine deep cycle battery and inverter. so far just brisket is on but all is running smoothly.

Just took pictures of the power we are running will have a couple pictures in a minute.

Inverter
Picture360.jpg

Battery
Picture361.jpg

Setup
Picture362.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great looking cooker! Can't wait to see the food :lol: pron!

Nice set up. May be the first battery pron ever on the forum.

Hey Ron working great hitting 159 on brisket, ribs are on beans are on, and just about to put some chicken breasts on.

Sofar working without a hitch. if you need any info on the inverter drop me a line ron.

Nice set-up Bill!
How about a solar panel to recharge the battery??
Who needs generators? :wink::biggrin:

not to sound funny but i thought about that, the "going green" thing ( as my smoker filling the air with smoke) lol but yes i have thought about the solar panels actually.

They used to have solor trickle chargers at Harbor freight. I keep telling my dad to get one for his mower.

How long of a cook do you think the battery setup would do? I would like to do the same thing if I get a pellet cooker.

Battery to inverter works wonderful on the FEC.
Big batteries are reported at way over 20 + hours since the FEC only draws an amp or so whilst running. Most inverters use more power to run than the FEC.
We use a charger-battery-inverter setup to protect the FEC from the vagaries of comp site power.
Always have clean and stable power no matter how the "grid" does --or if someone trips over your power cord or overloads the circuit.

TIM

well got a 10 hr cook with zero problems will have to see how long it actually lasts someday but i am totally happy with my cook today using alternativ battery power.

To extend the charge of the battery, you could disconnect the "hot rod" igniter. Then use starting gel in the pot to get it started. That way your hot rod doesn't drain you at start up.

Anyone prescribe to the theory that a battery set directly on the ground drains it's charge?

Anyone prescribe to the theory that a battery set directly on the ground drains it's charge?

In the old days, we always thought that putting a battery on dirt or concrete would drain it. I don't know about the newer batteries, though.

Battery to inverter works wonderful on the FEC.
Big batteries are reported at way over 20 + hours since the FEC only draws an amp or so whilst running. Most inverters use more power to run than the FEC.
We use a charger-battery-inverter setup to protect the FEC from the vagaries of comp site power.
Always have clean and stable power no matter how the "grid" does --or if someone trips over your power cord or overloads the circuit.

TIM

I have the battery and inverter down but what kind of charger are you using?

Anyone have any idea who long a good marine battery would run Pitminder with a 10 cm fan?

I have the battery and inverter down but what kind of charger are you using?

Just a little 6 AMP trickle charger.
All it does is keep the battery topped off.
Battery lasts a long long time even without it.

TIM

Anyone have any idea who long a good marine battery would run Pitminder with a 10 cm fan?

If memory serves me correctly Shotgun Fred told me that the DigiQ w/ 25 cm fan would run for an entire comp on a battery. Not sure about the Pitminder. They have hook ups available now just for automotive/marine batteries. I have the cigarette lighter plug and the regular 110 power pack. Might have to check into the battery hook ups too. Never know what the power will be like at a comp. At Nelsonville last year we lost power at 3am for about 3 hours.

Back