Turkey fryer

isuhunter

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Looking for a turkey/fish fryer combo...

Anyone have any advice on what are good ones?

I've done hundreds of Cajun fried Turkeys. Then I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWCmhrQapXI

I've saved a fortune in peanut oil and will put the tase of these up with any oil fried birds.

htef5d.jpg

Also some of the best chicken we've ever had.

Now for fish...Release to the grease! ;D

Looking for a turkey/fish fryer combo...

Anyone have any advice on what are good ones?

They're all pretty much the same. You got a pot with a stand to put the turkey on, a hook to lower it and a high BTU propane burner. Oh yeah a fry basket too.

Just make sure you get a sturdy unit that can't be knocked over easily. Don't ever leave it unattended.

I've just used a stainless steel pot on a a propane burner. 36 quart pot.

Another safety tip. Turn off the burner while you lower the bird into the oil. Once it is in the oil and stable, you can re-light the burner.

CD

If I ever get a turkey fryer, I am going to do this, which I saw on Good Eats.

Take the frozen turkey and place it in the pot. Fill the pot with water, so the turkey is covered, and then a little more, that will be the level of the oil when cooking. Remove turkey and either punch or otherwise mark the pot. That will be the cold fill level of the oil.

As for a good fryer, my current setup would be cobbled together, using a Brinkmann burner and a tamale pot or my stainless steel brew kettle.

I have a Butterball electric turkey fryer. Their made by Master built. Excellent fryer IMO, and can cook up to a 14lb bird though a 12 pounder seems a better fit.

I have the Brinkmann one from the HD, it works great.
It works great for boiling lobsters also (with water instead of oil, duh). :-D

I have one of those oil ones. Gave upb after two times. Expensive and messy. I do all mine in the kettle with no problems.

Back