• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My Mini-WSM Build (Lots of pics!)

GC8

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Not that this is anything original or anything, but I had an old Smokey Joe sitting in the garage that would get pulled out for tailgating and other random grilling needs. Or at least I think it was a Smokey Joe...I can make out the "ER" at the end of Weber on the wooden handle. Anyway, I wanted to put it to better use and so began the build. I tried to document as much as possible, so hope you enjoy!

Here's what I'm working with:
ry%3D480

And here's my helper for the day:
ry%3D480

As many others have experienced, the lid of the Weber did not fit the IMUSA pot very well:
ry%3D480

Time to make some slight modifications:
ry%3D480

Getting closer! And a really sore hand...:
ry%3D480

Ahhhh, much better:
ry%3D480

Time to drill some holes in the bottom of the pot (1" hole saw):
ry%3D480

I used the steamer plate to mark the hole locations. My crappy drill didn't last very long, so drilling took a reallllllly long time:
ry%3D480

It started to rain outside, so brought the operation into the garage. While waiting for the drill to charge back up, I taped off the old Smokey Joe to get ready for painting:
ry%3D480

K, after a very slow drilling process...all the holes are drilled:
ry%3D480

When drilling, I set the pot upside down on the lid and used the lid to catch all the shavings. Just a handy factoid:
ry%3D480

Marked the pot for the grate supports (4.5" down from lid):
ry%3D480

Test fitting the grate support with the acorn nuts on the outside:
ry%3D480

Looks good!:
ry%3D480

Holes drilled for the routing of my Maverick:
ry%3D480

Ready for some paint:
ry%3D480

First coat of high-temp gloss black:
ry%3D480

Here's how I'll have it set up with the clay 9" clay diffuser:
ry%3D480

The routing for the Maverick:
ry%3D480

And last, but not least...the final product:
ry%3D480

I'll do an initial burn in the next couple of days. I'm really looking forward to the first cook on this new toy! I'm going to order a thermometer for it too, that will finish it off nicely.

looks good but i'm not understanding the painting of the grill. that will probably burn off especially the lower part. one suggestion. go get some wide ss washers and put them on both sides of the legs on the lower part. it will add some strength there.

It's high-temp paint that's good up to 2,000 degrees. If it get's hotter than that, then I guess I'll just deal with it flaking off. I painted the grill portion of it because it was really beat up.

I built my mini because the ECB never would maintain steady temps, best thing i ever built! Happy Smokin!

My kids bought me a smokey joe for fathers day, but I'm not supposed to know that. :wink:

Between my mini and my red akorn, all my other cookers are getting jealous :oops:

BTW, just cutting out the bottom is much easier than drilling all the holes

Last edited:
Nice work! I'm sure you'll enjoy your mini. I use mine all the time.

Great build GC8.

GC's are one of a few Suby's I love, great car, if that's where your SN comes from

I suppose the WRX in the background of that photo helps to give it away :-o

Well the name gave me suspicions, the photo verified. I need to find me some acorn nuts for my UDS build. Like the look better than just bolts. She looks great. I'll keep this one in mind for my future mini wsm build

Got my el-cheapo thermometer from Amazon yesterday and threw it on today. Gonna fire it up Sunday to make some ABTs and chicken leg quarters for dinner. Looking forward to a day of smoking & beer drinking :grin:

ry%3D480

Good job!
You're gonna love it!
They work so good it almost seems like a sin to fire up the larger smokers!

Back