New Member from the Chicago Suburbs

BabelBBQ

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
New to BBQ, just got my first smoker a month ago. Up to now, I have been Webber Gas Grill only.

It all started about a year ago when my then 6 year old tried ribs for the first time. His eyes lit up, and he began requesting them often. So I made some pretty good ribs following the advice from the amazingribs website, but was frustrated with the amount of effort I had to put towards keeping the temp consistent. All of the sudden the box would shoot up in temp when the soaked wood chips suddenly went from smoldering to burning. So this summer for his birthday (and father's day) I took the plunge. I'm cooking on a not so ugly, UDS. After watching video after video on youtube, I decided there has to be some where you can buy a charcoal basket, and my search took me to Big Poppa Smokers Engineered Drum Smoker Kit. I am thrilled with my drum. First cook was of course ribs, and they were great. I've done chicken, pork chops, and my first pulled pork since setting up the drum.

Keeping a consistent temp was so much easier then on the gas grill. I'm looking forward to learning from this forum.

My Drum:
20130713_162754.jpg

Welcome to the forum, great looking drum!

Welcome! Nice UDS!

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

Back