The proper way to spatchcock, please

J

jswordy

I have never done this, so would someone please tell me how to properly spatchcock a hen? Do you need to meet her parents first? :razz:

Actually, I just want to do it so I can run around saying "Spatchcock! Spatchcock!" in public (Sorry for spraying spittle on you, sir.)

But seriously, help me out. I'd like to try this. Unless I have to meet her parents first.

Thanks, PatioDaddio! :smile:

Even has pix, and a nice incentive to do one at the end. That looks AWESOME! I'm just getting sick of beer can chicken after beer can chicken, and Sunday was the last straw. They are easy to do, but this looks even easier and less unwieldy to handle off the grill. I can easily season both sides, too. Plus, it has the added advantage of allowing me to drink the entire beer! :twisted:

BTW, I was :shock: to open the hen I had Sunday. The innards were missing! I told the wifie, we wuz robbed! She said, no silly, you can get them now with no innards in there.

Well, I'll be. :lol:

Thanks again! And thanks for the video, too, neighbor.

If you brine your bird it will be every bit as moist whether you do beer can or spatchcock

If you brine your bird it will be every bit as moist whether you do beer can or spatchcock
Roger that! I'm a huge fan of brining. In fact, here's a brined turkey I cooked in the UDS yesterday. Juice just poured out of it.

SmokedTurkey_1_1.jpg

John

Also, if you cut a slit in the skin behind each leg, you can cross the legs together. This will make the chicken a little more compact, which makes it easier to handle.

StormandHeater2-2.jpg

Back