• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoking Fish which end do you light

Wyobulldog

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey I have a couple fishing friends want me to smoke up a bunch of their fish. Is there any kind of guide or suggestions on how long, what temp or something I should know?

I figure this is the place for all the best info

Mike

Sort-of depends on what kind of fish your friends want you to smoke. Smoking usually is better for more oily fish.

When I do salmon I usually do a dry cure and smoke at about 225* until fish is about 140* internal. This is a hot smoke and is called kippered. Sometimes I wet cure also just for variety. You can also cold smoke some fish (maybe all?) at much lower temps.

Maybe try the Google search feature here and sure you'll come up with a lot of input.
Also...try this.

A simple recipe we like for Salmon is to spread a thin layer of mayo on the fish. Then shake soy sauce over. Then sprinkle with Mrs Dash (i know boring, but it's pretty good used like this.) Smoke or grill indirect on an open tin foil boat until it flakes. Pretty darn good and really easy.

I would think this would work on most fish.

I've just started smoking fish. Personally, I light the tail and suck through the lips. Tastes better that way.:laugh:

Now, I like to use the brine method with just a little Kosher salt, overnight.

The seasoning would depend on the type of fish, but I just add a little EVOO and some spice and through it in the box. It's done when It flakes apart, or has turned a uniform color. Opaque, not translucent.

Easy man!:clap2::clap2::clap2:

OK links and Ideas that is what I needed, mostly I think we are looking at lake trout, so it will be fun to play. So Chef Jim its kind of a fish kissing exercise?

Well I would never kiss a Lake Trout, I thought you were talking about real fish. That would be something that lives in SALT water. Smoked trout is OK, but Mahi, Salmon, Sailfish, Kings, and on & on & on.:laugh::laugh:

Just a little ribbing, figured you could take it.:thumb:

Well I would never kiss a Lake Trout, I thought you were talking about real fish. That would be something that lives in SALT water. Smoked trout is OK, but Mahi, Salmon, Sailfish, Kings, and on & on & on.:laugh::laugh:

Just a little ribbing, figured you could take it.:thumb:

Oh come on Jim, everyone knows the best saltwater fish can only be had off the West Coast! And... were not talking the West Coast of Florida neither.:boxing:

Oh come on Jim, everyone knows the best saltwater fish can only be had off the West Coast! And... were not talking the West Coast of Florida neither./Qoute.

Well I'll half agree with ya,, I live on the west Cosat of Florida,, The salt water fish here is just OK,, I really perfer the the New England N. Atlantic fish. Just can't beat that Cod, Haddock, and Black fish or even Sword Fish. Oh well just my preference... Sorry Gym..:bow:

Oh come on Jim, everyone knows the best saltwater fish can only be had off the West Coast! And... were not talking the West Coast of Florida neither./Qoute.

Well I'll half agree with ya,, I live on the west Cosat of Florida,, The salt water fish here is just OK,, I really perfer the the New England N. Atlantic fish. Just can't beat that Cod, Haddock, and Black fish or even Sword Fish. Oh well just my preference... Sorry Gym..:bow:

Never stated where the fish had to be, just salt water.:laugh::laugh:

Chef ,,Haltech,, I'm just Jokeing with both of yas,, Tell you the truth, I have no Idea what kinda fish are over there on the west Coast of CA..

Well I would never kiss a Lake Trout, I thought you were talking about real fish. That would be something that lives in SALT water.QUOTE]
Problem is the closest Salt Water is in the Great Salt Lake & it only produces brine shrimp (keep falling through my grates). Beside I worry about them CA fish kissin folk. In my neighborhood we kiss Cow and sheep or an occasional pig, but none of them fishy things.

Back