A small story about this forum's success

Mauricio

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I received my first weber grill as a gift 10 years ago and started to cook on it trying to match the quality on local restaurants, after spending a lot of time practicing doing a very poor quality bbq, one day browsing the internet, I found the well respected brethren community, and so I began to read and read and practicing and improving my bbq with your advices, after a few months I built my own UDS with the help of the main UDS thread and then I took my barbecue to a decent level.
This past weekend the rotary club made the first championship of barbecue in El salvador, Central America, they give us six hours to prepare pork, chicken and beef. The day before the event I spent a lot of time reading how to make the pork butt hot and fast, and thanks to the threads of El Ropo and Patio Daddio l learned how to do it around 250-300F in five hours.

I won first place in pork, first place in beef (tri-tip) third in chicken and first place across categories among 80 amateur bbq cooks. The prize was a trophy, a thousand dollars and a beef brisket.

I am so grateful to all of you who share their techniques and experiences in this forum. I cannot aspire to be professional as many of you, but I had the same satisfaction of winning a local championship in a VERY amateur league compared to yours, and it's really rewarding. I can only say that this award is yours. Thank you very much friends.

Attachments

• DSC00705.jpg
    DSC00705.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 307
That is a great story. Hope this doesn't get moved to the comp section, so more people see it. You are among many on this forum that have gone on to success in competition after being around here for a while. What are you going to do for an encore? Take the Jack?

That is a great story. Hope this doesn't get moved to the comp section, so more people see it. You are among many on this forum that have gone on to success in competition after being around here for a while. What are you going to do for an encore? Take the Jack?

Man... I wish I could assist as a spectator at an event like this at least once in my life. My respect to all of you.

Great job Mauricio! Congrats!

As a Rotarian, I'm curious about how your local Club was involved?

Great job Mauricio! Congrats!

As a Rotarian, I'm curious about how your local Club was involved?

BBQ events are not common here, this was a first, as far as I know the rotary club was looking for ways to rise money to make free hernia surgery in a public hospital, so they hired a company to organize the bbq event

Congrats! Great story. That is what makes this place a community/family and not just a BBQ forum.

Back