Judging Class Cooking for Judging Class

KJ's BBQ

Reaction score
I've been asked to cook for a Certified Barbecue Judging Class Saturday, March 9, 2013 in West Chester, OH. I told them I would do it but I have some questions on how far I should go with the cook. The class I took to become a judge, the meat was nothing like I would turn in a competition. I want to put out a good product, so should I prep it as I would for a competition using the same rub and sauces or just go with some SBR and a homemade rub? I'm sure Don Harwell the KCBS trainer will also help me out once I talk to him. Thanks for the help.

I would imagine they are going to ask you to cook a full range of doneness (slightly under. Just right, over cooked) all for instructional purposes.

3 or 4 cooks were involved in my class and from what I recall they followed some written guidelines for different quality, seasonings and appearance (bad and good arrangements, chunky sauce, and some of the boxes had illegal garnishes). I believe the goal was for the food to match the curriculum of the class (more or less). Looking back there were not any 8's or 9's.... everything was a 5, 6 or 7.

When I cooked for a judging class I was told to cook everything the same, but I didn't have to do anything real special. It all just had to be done. Mike & Theresa Lake did our class. My suggestion would be to get in contact with who is teaching your's and see what they are going to need.

Back