OK to up the temp on a brisket flat?

qposner

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Put a 6lb flat on at 10:30 this am. Meant to put it on around 7am, but totally missed that one. Anyhow, its 4:30 right now and sitting at 153 degrees after being in a stall for quite a while. I would like to have it ready by 7:00 so Im thinking about kicking the temp from 275 to 300 or 325. Anything wrong with that? My plan was to wrap when it hits 165 with a brown sugar/honey/butter mix until it hits 195 or so. Then, let it go unwrapped until probe tender. Just feel like Im running out of time and the natives are growing restless (well, my wife is anyhow).

Thanks!

shouldve been running 275-300* whole time and you'd be eating right now...... :mrgreen:

wrap it or pan it and crank it up.

no problem bumping the temp up just keep an eye on the color of the bark.

once you wrap leave it wrapped. with a flat it is safer to leave it wrapped. also, let us know how the honey/brown sugar/butter works out. that is normally a pork rib thing. really interested on how the sweet brisket turns out.

once you wrap leave it wrapped. with a flat it is safer to leave it wrapped. also, let us know how the honey/brown sugar/butter works out. that is normally a pork rib thing. really interested on how the sweet brisket turns out.

Will do. I read that it was an Adam Perry Lang deal so thought it is worth a shot.

Will do. I read that it was an Adam Perry Lang deal so thought it is worth a shot.

nothing wrong with experimenting. that is how we grow and learn. without it we would never be cooking briskets in 4-6 hours.

nothing wrong with experimenting. that is how we grow and learn. without it we would never be cooking briskets in 4-6 hours.

EVeryone really enjoyed the flat. I, being my own worst critic, was not terribly impressed with it. It was to salty IMO. Since I was experimenting on this one, I gave this a shot: http://www.adamperrylang.com/recipes/get-a-book-whole-beef-brisket

The initial paste would not spread well and was too salty for my liking. Further, there was no hint of sweetness from the brown sugar/honey/butter. I dont know, maybe it helped out with the saltiness. Anyhow, think Ill pass on this recipe in the future. Was fun to give it a try though. And, like I said, people loved it and ate a ton so it must not have been as mediocre as I think it was. At least not to the guests and wife. :)

Another thing to remember if this happens again, is to finish out in the oven if it has been on the smoker sucking up smoke for more than about 4 hours. The oven will be a steady heat source without any hot spots, and will finish the brisket off probably quicker than leaving it on the smoker. If wrapped, no one will be able to tell the difference, and your briskey will be great and tender when done.

Omar

Back