Gravity Feed Vs Pellet Smoker

I debated between Yoder 640 and Mak, but chose the Mak due to the programmable controller with probe. You can program it to hit various temp's for various lengths of time in succession and/or stay at temp until the internal meat temp hits a programmed number, as determined by the probe.

Rightly or wrongly, unlike many on here who insist on monitoring the cook, I really use it in a set and forget it manner and sleep all night while it cooks. I can program it to drop temp when the meat is done and hold at 200 until I get up and out to shut it down. So far no issue with that approach.

I have both a pellet grill and a gravity feed (Humphreys Tank II) and I personally think neither is a great option for what you are after. If I were you I'd go gravity fed for your briskets and other low and slow stuff and get yourself a 22.5 Weber kettle for chicken. While the pellet grill can "grill" it's really not where it shines IMO. A pellet smoker is for set it and forget it, low and slow BBQ. If you can afford a nice Gravity fed with a temp controller you've basically got a set it and forget it cooker with way more space in case you decide to entertain. Don't get me wrong, I love both of these cookers but, when it comes to chicken, grilled chicken, it's really hard to beat my weber set up over dual temp zones.

I have both a pellet grill and a gravity feed (Humphreys Tank II) and I personally think neither is a great option for what you are after. If I were you I'd go gravity fed for your briskets and other low and slow stuff and get yourself a 22.5 Weber kettle for chicken. While the pellet grill can "grill" it's really not where it shines IMO. A pellet smoker is for set it and forget it, low and slow BBQ. If you can afford a nice Gravity fed with a temp controller you've basically got a set it and forget it cooker with way more space in case you decide to entertain. Don't get me wrong, I love both of these cookers but, when it comes to chicken, grilled chicken, it's really hard to beat my weber set up over dual temp zones.

The right kind of pellet cooker will do both well. My Cookshack PG500 hits 700+ degrees on the sear side for grilling.

The right kind of pellet cooker will do both well. My Cookshack PG500 hits 700+ degrees on the sear side for grilling.

I agree... it can do it "well" but, charcoal will burn at rates of triple that temp or higher. Again, all i'm saying is I think pellet cookers shine as low and slow cookers. Yes, they can do convection at reasonably high temps and some have decent direct grill features but, you can't beat a cheapo charcoal grill when you are grilling high heat.

Back