My Humble entry to the Almighty Meatball Throwdown.

J

IMG_0076.jpg

Thanks for looking Brethren! :-D

Nuthin' humble about THAT.:thumb::thumb:

attachment.php

Everything was really good. My wife would not be someone to order a Reuben but she really liked the flavor. They really were like a great bite of a Reuben Sandwich. With the dressing and the pickle it was a perfect bite.

Thanks for looking.

That just SCREAMS bite me.:becky:

Good looking balls sammich, N8man. :thumb:

Similar recipe to mine, and cooked on a Weber redhead, too.

Broiled_Balls_9RGB.jpg

^^^^^ This is my favorite photo.

CD :clap2:

Nice work N8!:clap: If someone had told me that they could make 100 year old meatballs look that good, I never would have believed them!:shock::hungry:

I'm starting mine now. I made sure to label them so nobody throws them out between now and then.

Nice work N8!:clap: If someone had told me that they could make 100 year old meatballs look that good, I never would have believed them!:shock::hungry:

I'm starting mine now. I made sure to label them so nobody throws them out between now and then.

I guess we should pencil in another meatball throwdown for January 2112.

We'll need permission, of course, from the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx (their great computers will fill the hallowed halls).

CD

N8man, that looks really, really outstanding! That pic right there is making me drool. :thumb:

Italian Sausage Meatball Sub

I had made some hot Italian sausage a while ago and was down to my last two links. I took the casings off, added egg, breadcrumbs, and more pepper flakes and rolled them up.
mb13.jpg

mb11.jpg

mb12.jpg

Smoked them on the UDS
mb10.jpg

mb9.jpg

Toasted them up in some Italian bread with provolone and marinara. Kinda wish that I didn't add the additional pepper flakes, They was-a spicy-a meat-a balls. I ate the whole thing anyway! Please use this shot, and thanks for looking.
mb7.jpg

Wow, we have multiple meatball sammich entries, and they all look awesome. This is going to be tough.

CD

I made inside-out Arancini for the Almighty Meatball Throwdown. Arancini is typically mozzarella and a meat filling stuffed inside a ball of risotto, breaded, fried and served over red sauce. Since this is a meatball throwndown, not a rice ball throwdown, I turned them inside out.

Arancini in the making:

DSC_0435-1.jpg

I put a cube of mozzarella and a teaspoon of cooked rice inside a meatball mixture made of onions, celery, carrots, peas, tomato paste, saffron and some other stuff.

Inside out Arancini (cheese and rice inside)

DSC_0437-1.jpg

I made a couple right side out arancini and some inside out. All got rolled in panko and baked on the Weber. I served with shaved parmesan cheese over a meat sauce made with marinara and the meat filling used to make the meatballs.

Ready to put on the kettle

DSC_0441.jpg

Served up

DSC_0467.jpg

First bite

DSC_0478.jpg

Mmmmmm good. For the whole cook thread, see here. Enjoy!

That's kinda different. Haven't seen that here before. Very nice!! :wink:

Wow, this throwdown is getting ridiculous. Crazy good entries.

CD

Hot Pockets - YouTube

Today, for the Almighty Meatball Throwdown, I decided to make a Hot Pocket. There have already been some fantastic entries into the Throwdown and I wanted to do something different. Originally I was going to make a meatball pizza. I have been wanting to make more pizzas on my pizza cooker and this seemed to work. Then the idea of a calzone popped into my head and I decided to go with that as I have not tried a calzone yet.

So, I decided to grind up my own beef and started with this ~3lb chuck roast that I picked up yesterday at Sam's.

IMG_0543.jpg

As I was feeding the grinder, I got to this section of the roast and it almost broke my heart to grind up these pieces.

IMG_0544.jpg

Once the chuck was ground I ended up with about 3lbs of ground meat so I made two 1lb portions and vacusucked them and threw them into the freezer. The remaining meat was mixed up with an egg, bread crumbs, oregano, rosemary and basil.

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

Once the mixture was mixed, I formed my mighty meatballs. Ok, they aren't all that mighty as I decided to make them small.

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

Not only was this a first as far as the calzone but it was the first time I have had the opportunity to cook on my Stok CI grate in the Weber kettle I have mounted in my cooker cart. The Stok grate is nice and I decided to use the wok insert I picked up to brown up the meatballs. I was also cooking some turkey patties for lunch. This worked great. Once the meatballs were done, I put the regular grate insert back in to finish the turkey.

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

For those that haven't seen it, here is my cooker cart in its grilling configuration.

IMG_0555.jpg

After lunch it was time to work on the pocket. I started off with dough from Trader Joe's (because I am lazy and it only costs $1.08). I have learned that I only need to use half of the dough that comes in a bag so I took half of the dough and formed my ball. The other half was sealed up and into the freezer. I have been getting better at working with dough but I have to admit that I still had to use the rolling pin crutch to get it to its final thinness.

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

Once the dough was rolled, I started with a layer of fresh mozzerella. Then came the meatballs and another layer of mozzerella. Finally, I added some sauce because, as we all know, you need something in a Hot Pocket to achieve thermo-nuclear temperatures so it burns your mouth when you take a bite.

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

Here she is all sealed up and ready for the cooker. One thing I learned yesterday during a test run was that I needed to start it upside down. My pizza cooker does a good job of cooking toppings on a pizza but it doesn't quite have the heat to cook the dough before the bottom is over cooked.

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

Here is the cart in its pizza cooker configuration.

IMG_0564.jpg

After a while I pulled the pocket and flipped it over. I then cut some vent slits (another lesson learned yesterday) and brushed on a mixture of butter, garlic, salt and oregano. Since I usually have to rotate pizzas to get an even cook I did the same with the pocket and brushed on the butter mixture at every rotation.

IMG_0565.jpg

And here she is fresh from the cooker.

IMG_0570.jpg

And now for the gratuitous, melty cheesy pr0n.

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

Yeah, it was good. It was fanfarkingtastic. The fresh mozzarella melted wonderfully and, as I had hoped, having the two layers of cheese allowed it to flow when I flipped the pocket mid cook. I will definitely be trying this again.

Back