BBQ Brethren "Throwdown"...Week 5...

i like to have a few of these and go in the maze after dark and get lost

lambchops-004.jpg

I have seen these at a local market I go to and have wondered about the flavor of raspberry and wheat. Is the raspberry overpowering or is it a smooth finish?

Currently my favorite beer is this..
053.jpg

This looks really...really good...:p I've never tried beer bread...looks like that may change very soon! :biggrin:

attachment.php

JD, easy recipe. Bread is nice moist and sweet and has a good crust. We used busch light, cause that's what I had, but supposedly budweiser is recommended. Who knows. We buttered the bread real good and sprinkled sugar and cinnamon on it this time and spread some orange jam my sister made. Give it a try.

3 cups self-rising bread flour

5 tablespoon sugar

1 12 ounce can ROOM TEMP beer

Stir all ingredients to moisten
Pour batter into sprayed loaf pan
Cover and let rise for 15 minutes
Bake at 350° until golden brown

I have seen these at a local market I go to and have wondered about the flavor of raspberry and wheat. Is the raspberry overpowering or is it a smooth finish?

the purple haze is very good, but i can't drink more then a couple at a time. it's more of a breakfast beer :biggrin:

and i agree on the turbo dog, try that also:cool:

JD, easy recipe. Bread is nice moist and sweet and has a good crust. We used busch light, cause that's what I had, but supposedly budweiser is recommended. Who knows. We buttered the bread real good and sprinkled sugar and cinnamon on it this time and spread some orange jam my sister made. Give it a try.

3 cups self-rising bread flour

5 tablespoon sugar

1 12 ounce can ROOM TEMP beer

Stir all ingredients to moisten
Pour batter into sprayed loaf pan
Cover and let rise for 15 minutes
Bake at 350° until golden brown

Thanks for the recipe...I'll put it on my list to do AFTER this weeks throwdown...:lol:

Are you ready for a "Pron Throwdown"...?
This weeks challenge is..."Breads"...:razz:

Here are the rules...(in case you forgot)...

1) It has to be "Breads"...duh! :roll:
2) It has to be grilled or smoked...(comp cooked meats are ok too).
3) It has to be cooked during the current "throwdown" week...(Monday-Sunday)
4) All pics or descriptions (if you don't have a digital camera) must be submitted by 7:00 PM Pacific Time on Monday.
5) 3 pics per entry please...

The voting will begin on Monday evening after 7:00 PM...or whenever I (or anyone else) get around to posting the "vote" thread!

Good Luck...and have fun! :biggrin:

Week 1..."Beef"...
Week 2..."Pork"...
Week 3..."Chicken"...
Week 4..."Seafood"...
Week 5..."Breads"...
Week 6..."Desserts"...
Week 7..."Veggies"...

***Throwdown Update***

Due to the fact that this weeks throwndown falls on a holiday weekend where some of you may be cooking on Monday...I have extended the pic posting deadline to Tuesday before 7:00 PM...(yes..I'll wait this time! :twisted:) :p

***Throwdown Update***

Due to the fact that this weeks throwndown falls on a holiday weekend where some of you may be cooking on Monday...I have extended the pic posting deadline to Tuesday before 7:00 PM...(yes..I'll wait this time! :twisted:) :p

Does that mean that I can't cook my dessert until Tuesday now. :wink:

DSC05961JPGa.jpg

When it comes to making my bread, I’m more familiar with the old fashioned way….Get up at 5AM and work all day. :mrgreen: So for this weeks Bread Throwdown, I had to select my entry carefully to match my baking skills. Once Mrs ~t~ noticed what I was up to, she naturally tried to move in since she is quite the baker…..after a brief (but firm) explanation, she agreed to let me have a go at this single-handed, and somehow I agreed to re-caulk the bathtub… :confused:

I decided on an herb flat bread, specifically focaccia bread. I learned that the name comes from the Roman “panis focacius” which refers to a loaf of bread cooked upon a hearth or under the ashes of a fire. What a perfect fit for this contest! What’s better …. you don’t need a fancy pan or any other bake-ware, just a pizza stone. Although I did use some parchment paper for insurance. Baking time in my BGE was 30 minutes at 400° dome temp. This stuff smells great, has more body than cornbread and is just as easy to make. I had the slice in the photograph with some of my garden fresh tomatoes. It was a perfect fit.

DSC05916JPGa.jpg

Last edited:
"A letter from 'ome'"

Straight from the Butte Heritage Cookbook
Cornish pastie (pronounced "pass-tee")
Old timers will tell you the pastie arrived in Butte along with the first Cornish housewives who followed their husbands into the camp direct from Cornwall. Long favored in the miner's lunch bucket, the pastry wrapped meal of meat and vegetables was an ideal way for the "Cousin Jenny" to provide for a hearty meal for the hard working "Cousin Jack." As the miner unwrapped his lunch he would fondly refer to the pastie as "a letter from 'ome'."
Traditional meal cooked with Brethren flair with bacon added to the filling on the medium BGE at a dome temp of 400 degrees for about an hour.

pasties012.jpg

pasties017.jpg

Decided to make a pizza. I have made tons of pizzas before, but never on the grill. Made the dough earlier yesterday and let it rise on the balchony.

Took some leftover meatballs I made the night before. They were made with ground chuck, veal, and pork. Some muchrooms and mozzarella cheese.

The sauce I made aswell. I posted the recipe in the recipe section. All purpose tomato sauce. Great stuff.

Got the stone very hot on my Kenmore gasser and slide the pie on. Was very good. I am going to have to use the grill more for pizza's.

097-1.jpg

193-1.jpg

233.jpg

Here goes. I fixed a Mexican cornbread. This is something my mom would make when we were kids. Pretty basic fair, cornbread on the bottom seasoned ground beef, onions, jalapeños, cheese and a layer cornbread on the top. Baked it in the egg. Charo beans, sliced avocados a little salsa and sour cream top it all off.

Attachments

• 100_4274at.jpg
    100_4274at.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_4276at.jpg
    100_4276at.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_4278at.jpg
    100_4278at.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 300
Decided to make a pizza. I have made tons of pizzas before, but never on the grill.

233.jpg

That's a good looking pie, I could have used some leftover for breakfast....but I bet there wasn't any :rolleyes:

Here goes. I fixed a Mexican cornbread. This is something my mom would make when we were kids. Pretty basic fair, cornbread on the bottom seasoned ground beef, onions, jalapeños, cheese and a layer cornbread on the top. Baked it in the egg. Charo beans, sliced avocados a little salsa and sour cream top it all off.

Mike, what is the CI skillet sitting on?

Once again, here is my meager attempt to keep up with the Giants of our ThrowDowns. I present to you Buttermilk Rolls and Buttermilk Fan-Tans.
I fired up the DrumPit with 3/4 of a Chimney of K poured on top of the fire basket load of K...No WoodChunks were used in this Cook. I baked the rolls for 21 minutes at 400*. I got the Recipe from "The Joy of Cooking", an awesome book that everyone should have.
Drum_Baker1.jpg
Rolls and Fan-Tans resting on cooling rack....The House Smells Heavenly
Fan_Tans_Rolls2.jpg
Little snack, Fan-Tan and Strawberry Preserves...
Fan_Tans_StrawB3.jpg

oh, man! there's some good lookin bread in here!

i just pulled a loaf off the egg :biggrin:

Back