Cooking on bakers racks

Dex

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Who does?

I've seen a lot of guys at comps and on TV cooking ribs on bakers racks. Other than ease of handling, is there any other advantage to doing this?

If you mean cookie sheets, we use them for injecting too, keeps the mess under control.

he's talking about cooling racks. what I like about them is that you can pick things up in bulk and move them with out having to touch them. think ribs VS tongs if you've got that perfect glaze on them.. crappy part, stuff tends to stick to them in the hard to clean places. if you're going to get them, don't get the wally world cheap-o's. get some stainless ones that will hold up. the cheap ones flake and I don't know what that black plastic is made of, but guess it no taste to good.

I cook on Weber bullets and after my chicken gets its bath, I like to dip it in the sauce and use bakers cooling racks in a different foil pan to set the sauce. Easier to get in and out of the cooker for me and whether I am right or not I think that with it being just off the bottom of the pan sets the sauce on the bottom better.

I use them for ribs. Restaurant depot has multiple sizes, the size I use fits 2 racks perfectly. So I can move 4 racks easily without touching them. I had a friend borrow one and he used it on the grill- bad idea. They will rust if exposed to hot grill temps.

• Thanks
Reactions: Dex
Yeah thanks... "cooling racks." I've always called them bakers racks.

ribrack.jpg

ribrack2.jpg

I use them for ribs. Restaurant depot has multiple sizes, the size I use fits 2 racks perfectly. So I can move 4 racks easily without touching them. I had a friend borrow one and he used it on the grill- bad idea. They will rust if exposed to hot grill temps.
The Restaurant depot ones are chromed wire and thy start flaking after 4-5 uses.

I really like the JOS ones because they have the handles on them. Use them for ribs and chicken. Makes it really easy to get off the smoker.

I use them on big meats with rack inside a foil pan. Using the racks cuts down on grease in the smoker.

What are the dimensions of the Jacks Old South racks?

We like em for chicken because we can move all of the chicken in and out of the smoker quickly at once without touching. They also allow the sauce to drain off easily.

We have the RD ones and have used them all last year and this year and have noticed no flaking. We just soak them in a bucket of water after using then they get put in the dishwasher at home to clean.

• Thanks
I just ordered 2 of [ame="http://www.amazon.com/CIA-23304-Masters-Collection-Cooling/dp/B000OFND8W/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"]these[/ame] on Amazon.

Rated up to 450 degrees.

Yeah thanks... "cooling racks." I've always called them bakers racks.

ribrack.jpg

ribrack2.jpg

What i would really like to know is where you guys find such good looking ribs. Have tried Sams Costco Heb butchers ect and rarely find anything that good looking. They always look great on the pitmaster show too.

@ Dex, The rack you have linked on Amazon is chrome plating over steel. The first 3 I purchased the company replaced because the plating was coming off. Told me to use a dishcloth with soft scrub to clean. Not to put in the dishwasher or use a scrub pad.

• Thanks
@ Dex, The rack you have linked on Amazon is chrome plating over steel. The first 3 I purchased the company replaced because the plating was coming off. Told me to use a dishcloth with soft scrub to clean. Not to put in the dishwasher or use a scrub pad.

How did the replacements hold up?

I just ordered 2 of these on Amazon.

Rated up to 450 degrees.

I think that's the same thing I get at RD.
I think they're cheaper there too, but not sure.
They have several different sizes there.

Back