Help for a newbie

BigdogKC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am finally splitting from my old team and forming a new one with my wife and a couple of other friends; we are planning on doing a couple of contests this year, but I realized that I don't have the smoker space. I have one of the Home Depot offset smokers, and I like it, but instead of buying another one of those I was thinking of getting something different...

Long story short, what do you all think I should get; I have about $500.00 to spend.

Thanks

I'd have to agree. It's hard to beat a few WSMs. I'm thinking of selling my 18.5' trailered pit and picking up two more WSMs myself!

Probably won't find something very big for $500..I agree with Stoke&Smoke, get a couple of wsm's.

I started with 2 wsm's.

Yep, butts and brisket in one, ribs and chicken in the other.

I did a KCBS comp with just one!
It was a ton of work but it CAN be done!

From what I've been reading about UDS cookers, I'd say make a couple of them, and if you want to, buy a WSM to go with them, and you'll still have money left for a couple of temp. gauges and a thermapen!

WSM's are great, we use 4 of them in comps. Very easy to use and control.

What about the cheapy smoke N gril from Brinkman that you can get at home depot for liek $40. is that just too cheap or what?

Are 2 WSM's big enough for all the competition meat?

Yep. I cooked pork in one, briskets in the other for over night. By morning when they ribs and chicken had to go on, the butts and brisket were wrapped and put all on one cooker together to finish or they were done and put in the hot box.

It's easier with 3 or even 4 but you can do it with 2.

I ended up with 4 by the end of the year. :wink:

That brinkmann will take more work than a drum cooker to make right....

If I were you, I would make a UDS to go with your offset - and if you like it... add a second one. Then you will have your offset, and two UDS cookers. I've had some of the best food I've ever eaten served to me off of a trash can... And they hold thier own at competitions too... :)

I have a drum if you are interested in making a cooker. Outside of that - I'm thinking WSMs or a small pellet cooker to augment your existing offset.

Thanks for looking for me, but I think I would prefer a WSM or Drum so I can fit it all in the minivan. If I use the offsets, then I will have to haul a trailer too and I am too lazy for that :)

That brinkmann will take more work than a drum cooker to make right....

If I were you, I would make a UDS to go with your offset - and if you like it... add a second one. Then you will have your offset, and two UDS cookers. I've had some of the best food I've ever eaten served to me off of a trash can... And they hold thier own at competitions too... :)

I have a drum if you are interested in making a cooker. Outside of that - I'm thinking WSMs or a small pellet cooker to augment your existing offset.
Thanks for the Drum offer, but I am not a very handy guy, so if I get one I will have to buy it.

What do you guys think of the All-Star from ABS? Is that big enough/good enough for a comp?

Back