View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #5221
EatRBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Howdy folks.

Have been thinking of adding a second grate to my UDS, but can't decide on a height for it.

The charcoal basket is 5-6" off the bottom of the drum, and is about 8" deep. The top grate is just about 24" from the bottom grate of the basket.

I'm intereste in cooking beans in the UDS - want all that good smoked drippings flavor from putting the beans under the meat on the top grate. If I plan to cook in a stockpot kind of utensil I will probably end up with a second grate that will be too close to the fire. Alternative is to use a foil pan for the beans (bought plenty at Costco) so that the second grate only has to be 4-5" or so below the second grate.

The second grate would then be about 20" from the bottom of the basket. Is that too close to cook some ribs or chops on there when I need the space? Would I end up spending alot of time flipping grates and such and then going crazy chasing temps?
From what you shared, I'm assuming this is a flat-top lid UDS?
If so, you could always modify it by adding a domed lid and another cooking grate above your existing one. Bring all the food a little higher up instead of sneaking in a lower grate?