• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Need help Identifying meat...

Duckboats

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Okay. Long story short, some meat fell off the back of a truck and into my freezer. :blah::blah::blah:

I need some help identifying it. The local meat packing employees called it "Rib Rounds". I was hoping someone could help with the English version of that.

Here is a picture
photo.jpg

Thanks.

Yeah looks like a primal cut to me maybe a chuck roll...

Last edited:
If that's a chuck eye, I want to know where you got in and I'm driving there tomorrow! Chuck eyes are one of my favorite steaks and not the easiest to find.

looks like Chuck Roll to me

Which would contain the eye. OP, seriously, let me know where you got it if that is truly what it is.

I get the whole chuck clod on occasion just so I can cut the eye from it. I mean, I'm gonna be buying chuck anyway...

I want to do a clod badly, but they are hard to find and not many good butcher shops in Lincoln. I know a place to get any pork I could possibly want, but they don't process beef.

I agree you can't have too much Chuck primal on hand. And when all else fails, grind it. :biggrin1:

You guys are funny. Y'all sound like my brother and all the guys at work. "Who gives a crap. Rub it down and throw it on the smoker low and slow like. Then bring some in..."
Okay. Taking it down to the butcher to see if they can tell me how to get some good steaks from it.

If it is shoulder clod (and I am pretty sure it is), steaks are not the best way to cut that piece. If it is marbled enough, it can be treated like brisket and sliced nicely. If it not very marbled, treat it more like a chuckie and go for pulled beef (slices will end up a little dry if not enough fat).

I was talking with all the smokers at work and decided to throw the whole thing on the smoker tomorrow. So, I'm going to treat it like a brisket and put it on the smoker at midnight tonight. I'll update with some more pictures and keep them coming.

Hey, if I screw this one up, I still have 10 more!

Hey, if I screw this one up, I still have 10 more!

Awesome. If you need help "getting rid" of any of those, you just let me know. :mrgreen: Moisture is your friend with clod, BTW. I do not like to wrap my brisket, but I do wrap clod.

Okay. Sorry, was going to update Saturday while cooking, but I was also doing some woodworking and got a chunk of wood in the eye, so spent some time at the Emergicare. But all is good now.
First thing is first. I injected the crap out of this thing. I used at least double what I normally use for brisket, maybe more. I smoked it for 12 hours at 200 or so. First smoked it without a pan for 6 hours and when I probed it, decided to put it in a pan to catch the drippings and keep it moist. Here it is after the 12 hours and 203* internal temp.
photo1.jpg

I let it rest about 3-4 hours and sliced it up.
photo2.jpg

It was the consistency of roast, but very very tender. Not bad. Looking forward to the next time or 10....

Back