Cookshack vs. Backwoods Smoker

lkissell

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am an avid backyard smoker who is interested in adding a new smoker to my collection. I currently have a large Big Green Egg and I'm trying to decide between a Cookshack smoker and a Backwoods Smoker.

I'm not planning on competing, catering or any large scale endeavours. I just want to produce excellent BBQ for groups of 10 or less. The BGE is great, but I don't like the fact that I can't lay out entire racks of ribs on the main cooking grate. It appears that the appropriate model Cookshack or Backwoods Smoker would address this issue.

So my question is this:

Which smoker produces a better product? I'm primarly interested in ribs and brisket. I'd like to have an authentic smoke flavor and a moist product when it's finished.

Any experience that can be shared on either of these smokers is appreciated.

Thanks!

I could be totally wrong but I think the smaller (residential) cook shacks are electric so if you think you might ever want to get into a competition I don't think they would be allowed.

Fishiest1 is correct on the residential Cookshack line. They use electricity for the heat source and wood chunks for flavor. They are not currently allowed in KCBS-sanctioned competitions.

If that's not a concern, then you should consider them. They do a nice job in all sorts of weather and produce a nice product. It is very easy to over smoke with them, however. A little wood goes a long way.

I am an avid backyard smoker who is interested in adding a new smoker to my collection. I currently have a large Big Green Egg and I'm trying to decide between a Cookshack smoker and a Backwoods Smoker.

I'm not planning on competing, catering or any large scale endeavours. I just want to produce excellent BBQ for groups of 10 or less. The BGE is great, but I don't like the fact that I can't lay out entire racks of ribs on the main cooking grate. It appears that the appropriate model Cookshack or Backwoods Smoker would address this issue.

So my question is this:

Which smoker produces a better product? I'm primarly interested in ribs and brisket. I'd like to have an authentic smoke flavor and a moist product when it's finished.

Thanks!

My BWS Chubby was $1145.00 delivered to my door. It came with a cover, diffuser, and BBQ Guru adapter.

I've done 2 cooks with it, and both results were excellent (in 26 degree weather, no less).

I'm sure Cookshark smokers are good, too.

But I'm very satisfied with my BWS.

Cant go wrong with the Backwoods I have been a dealer for 5yrs and have used them in catering and comp for even longer. PM me i can give you the total rundown plus i give member discounts.

So my question is this:

Thanks!

Backwoods all the way. Chubby is nice and compact and a good capacity. The Party would be my suggestion. Same foot print as the chubby with 6 racks and very verstile. They both have removable water pans so you can crank the heat up on them and cook direct if you like. BTCG has a chubby and can give you and idea of those and Fishiest1 will have a Party this week so he can give a little input too!!!! Let me know if I can help ya!!

Here are some pics of a chubby and a party. 20lb turkey in both and 15 untrimmed chicken thighs on a chubby/party shelf. Should help you choose and give you a visual of capacity.

Attachments

• turkey in a chubby.jpg
    turkey in a chubby.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 647
  • turkey in a party.jpg
    turkey in a party.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 635
  • chicken on a chubby.jpg
    chicken on a chubby.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 638
Party is a rib cookers delight and will just cruise along at the desired temp. I do brisket on my BGE with good results.

MOINKS on my chubby. Can't go wrong with a Backwoods smoker.

Attachments

• IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 598
MOINKS on my chubby. Can't go wrong with a Backwoods smoker.

Those moinks look outstanding....if I look at the computer screen too much longer I'm gonna lick it...........I have a group party in a week....gonna do some moinks and Boshizzle's atomic tater tots on my chubby to serve.....I can't wait.....

I love my backwoods piglet! I actually am considering buying another BWS if i could only find a way to justify it to my wife.
Here is my piglet smoking away.
62f66822-ff21-0df9.jpg

Fishiest1 is correct on the residential Cookshack line. They use electricity for the heat source and wood chunks for flavor. They are not currently allowed in KCBS-sanctioned competitions.

If that's not a concern, then you should consider them. They do a nice job in all sorts of weather and produce a nice product. It is very easy to over smoke with them, however. A little wood goes a long way.
Dito, do you want authentic BBQ or electric?

Back