View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
armyguygrillin
Got Wood.

Default Need some help with a smoker.

Hey guys!

I'll give you a quick run down about me and my smokers to date. I have done sooo much research online it's just crazy. I am having a really hard time deciding what to get for my next smoker. I need to make sure that I get the right one this time around, as it is costing me way too much money experimenting.

I have had 3 pellet smokers so far. I have had a FE PG1000, a FE PG500, and a Dreamwerks 1600SS(which is sold as of this weekend). After spending tons of money on these, I have found that while I LOVE the convenience and consistency of pellet smokers, they just don't give the food that smoked flavor I am looking for. I still have the PG500 and use it strictly as a grill now and it works great for that.

I have also had a Cookshack Amerique. While it was also convenient, the food came out too mushy for my liking. It did put way more smoke onto the meat, but it still did not have the flavor or the consistency I was looking for so I sold it and lost a ton of money on that one.

Last but not least, I have a Big Steel Keg. This thing is AWESOME. I love the flavor that this thing imparts on the food. I just made the best ribs I have ever made, or eaten for that matter last week. It holds temp really good, the lump lasts a really long time, and the flavor just can't be beat. I have made some of the best Q' I(or my friends/family) have ever had on the Keg. With that said, this thing is small. I have small parties at my house throughout the summer and even get to togethers with family throughout the winter.

I am looking for a smoker that produces the same quality, texture, and flavor food as the Big Steel Keg does, just in a bigger package that will allow me to do up to say 20-25 racks of ribs at a time. Now most of the time I will only probably have 4 racks or so on there, and maybe throw some chicken on the Keg at the same time.

I have never had food off of a stick burner, so I don't know how those things are(was looking at a Jambo Backyard model), and I also was looking at the Backwoods G2 Party, but that is a water smoker and I don't know how that would compare texture wise to the Keg.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I only want to have to buy one last smoker that will give me what I am looking for.
armyguygrillin is offline   Reply With Quote