Venison Pastrami with Hot German Tato Salad

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I had two small venison roasts in my freezer (from the hind quarter), wanted to use them up before deer season.

I used the Tender Quick method to corn them. This is enough to do about 5 lbs of meat... I used maybe 1/2 of it...

5 tablespoons Tender Quick
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground paprika
1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

I mix this up, rub on the meat, then shake off any excess....

100_6142-1.jpg

Wrapped and let cure for 5 days....

100_6149-1.jpg

I soaked in fresh water overnight, because something came up and I was interrupted...

Then I rubbed with a mixture of garlic, juniper berries, bay leaves, mustard seeds, allspice, onion powder and lots of cracked black pepper...

100_6335-1.jpg

Threw them into the smoker with some apple wood and some tatos...

100_6350-1.jpg

Made hot german tato salad with the smoked tatos....

100_6374-1-1.jpg

The venison pastrami turned out great...

100_6396-1.jpg

100_6397-1.jpg

100_6399-1.jpg

The tato salad was good, but the dressing on the salad overpowered the smoky flavor IMO. It was good though. :)

Man CG does that pastrami ever look good. Way lean, beautiful color from the corn. I'll take mine on rye please:icon_bigsmil

Thanks wlh3 and TK!
I didn't have any rye on hand, but did put some spicy brown mustard on the sandwich. :)

OK... I'm officially hungry.

Looks great, CG! I'm not a hunter but i think I'm going to start driving the back roads near dusk with my lights off hoping a deer jumps out in front on me :-D :-D :-D

Very nice! Sure wish I had access to game meat. How does venison pastrami taste compared to regular?

Thank you Ron, Harbormaster, Allenave and MayDay!!

MayDay, the flavor of the pastrami is very similar to beef...hard to describe...no wild game taste, but I can still tell that it is venison.
Does that make sense? lol:redface:

Allenave..I usually use baked or boiled potatoes for the salad, but wanted to try it with some smoked. Also...you can peel the potatoes.
I used 5 cooked tatos
browned about 5 pieces of bacon
cooked some onions and leeks in the bacon drippings
added about 1 TBs of flour to the pan
then added...
1/3 cup of water
1/4 cup of cider vinegar
2 TBs of sugar or more if needed

Makes kind of a sauce...
Add the cubed potatoes and gently toss.
Season with salt and pepper and top with crumbled cooked bacon

It's supposed to be served warm.

Hope this helps ya Allenave. :-D

I will have to try that this year :) Looks very delicious

Mike

Thanks Mike...I'm kind of using up my last years venison. Sure hope I get another one this year. lol

Cowgirl,

Great job, as usual.

But where's the picture of the "hot german"?

Thank you Paulie, Mike, Larry and Jestridge!

Larry, if I had a "hot" german close by, I would probably be spending my time with him instead of cooking. lol :biggrin:

Jestridge, if you like pastrami, I'll bet you would like this venison. Hope someday you get to try it. :)

WOW that looks awesome! I was just about to ask for the recipe...then realized someone beat me to it. Thanks for the recipe!

I sure like the looks of that. I was recently in a discussion with one of the Eggheads about pastrami-ing a turkey breast, I use Tenderquick in the brine and juniper is one of the spices I'm experimenting with for both the brine and the injection.

I bet the long soak you did may have helped reduce the wild game flavor. We always soaked deer steaks in salt water, or milk, or buttermilk for that reason.

Back