• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS basket

Doog

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been asked because there is so many UDS threads and I couldn't find anything.
Has anyone ever used a turkey fryer basket for a charcoal basket on a UDS?
I'm in the process of gathering parts to build a UDS and I'm looking at all options.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 328
Should work fine. I use a washing machine drum with a bunch of 1" holes in the bottom and bolts for legs

YetiDave
How high is your washing machine drum?

I can't remember off the top of my head, but it could probably hold 60+ lbs of coal, so it's pretty damned big

I'm sure it'll work (although it seems a bit narrow and too tall) but since you're in the US you should have no trouble making one out of expanded metal.

If that is an aluminum basket, it will not hold up to the charcoal. A buddy of mine tired it earlier this year and the basket melted. Expanded metal is the way to go.

Thanks for all the replies!
I will dig my welder out and find some expanded metal. And fab something decent up.
The only expanded metal I have found was a 4' x 5' sheet for 49.99 or 4' x 8' for 79.00 which would be way to much for just one.

I will dig my welder out and find some expanded metal. And fab something decent up.
The only expanded metal I have found was a 4' x 5' sheet for 49.99 or 4' x 8' for 79.00 which would be way to much for just one.

Wow, 42 here for a 4x8 sheet

I have been using that basket in my UDS for a year also,no problems.You fry a turkey at 350-400 degrees with those baskets and don't hurt it.I think if you keep it in that temp range and lower you will be o.k.

No need to use a welder, if you don't want to. Just wrap the expanded metal around the charcoal grate and use some washers and some screws to hold it together and some more screws to hold up the charcoal grate up about 2 to 3 inches. Mine is still going strong 5 years later and you can fit about 15-20 pounds of charcoal it.

if you can find a trailer builder, they use that stuff all the time. i got mine from an amish guy and he cut it to size for me. heck if you were close i would even help you build one!

if you can find a trailer builder, they use that stuff all the time. i got mine from an amish guy and he cut it to size for me. heck if you were close i would even help you build one!

Dabirdz
Thank you for the offer! It would be fun!!
I have pretty much all the parts I need to make a UDS. My stumbling blocks right now are what type of basket, and what type of wheels to put on it or use a hand cart to move it.

Theboz1419
I would just as soon get the welder out if I make a basket. It kind of gives me some practice.

I get all my steel needs at a metal salvage yard and pay by the lb. Expanded metal is like $.40 lb. You might see if you have one locally.

You can go to Lowes, or Home Depot and get sheets of the lighter gauge stuff and just bend it around a tree, or a propane tank and wire it together over a charcoal grill. Made my second one like that and it is still going strong after 2 years.

Blessings, :pray:

Omar

Dabirdz
Thank you for the offer! It would be fun!!
I have pretty much all the parts I need to make a UDS. My stumbling blocks right now are what type of basket, and what type of wheels to put on it or use a hand cart to move it.

Theboz1419
I would just as soon get the welder out if I make a basket. It kind of gives me some practice.

i found an old 22.5 charcoal grill on clean up day, and mounted mine inside that.

10392290_694477743932688_3312146652418826906_n.jpg

Doog,

I just got my wheels from Harbor Freight. Blue rubber with locks for maybe $3.50 each.

Matt

I disagree with the 'bend it around the tree' approach unless you are completely clueless with tools. A few minutes with a sheet metal roll and a small MIG welder set up to run GMAW (hard wire with gas shield) gave me a basket I can be proud of.

charcoalBasket.jpg

Back