First IBCA Contest

bubbachuck

Reaction score
Well I am out in Texas now and I am getting ready to enter my first IBCA contest. It is going to be the West Texas contest in March. I was talking to Rub with Swamp Boys and he said that he thought some of you guys on here may do some IBCA and could maybe give just a couple of pointers when it comes to turn-in and what is allowed and was is not. I have read the Rules and some what understand them, but just wondering what anyone could tell me in BBQer's terms about them.
-is it no sauce at all once it comes off the cooker?
-are the 7 pieces that are required is that a minimum or is that all they
want?
This is just a couple questions I had, this post is long enough already. Any info ya'll could share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Papa Chuck - whatcha' gonna cook on out there? Ain't the trailer back in FL with the boys? BTW- when you coming back to FL to hang out? I wanna make sure I'm there to party with ya'll. :-D Good Luck in the contest!

Talking to the Head Judge is very important
Ask questions at the cooks meeting
At most events it is 7 pieces in the box and no more

..I have read the Rules and some what understand them, but just wondering what anyone could tell me in BBQer's terms about them.
-is it no sauce at all once it comes off the cooker?
-are the 7 pieces that are required is that a minimum or is that all they
want?
This is just a couple questions I had, this post is long enough already. Any info ya'll could share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

As long as there is no sauce pooling in the tray at turn in. You can take a paper towel with you and sop up anything that has dripped. Just make sure it sets.

7 slices of brisket, 7 ribs and a fully jointed chicken half.

This is actually Mike, I am out in Dallas now I am in FL this weekend catering a whole hog cook then I am flying back out on Tuesday. Not sure when Papa Chuck will be back.

I definately plan on asking questions to the reps at the cooks meeting. No pooling sauce that is the one I wasn't sure on. I think the rules state something like "no ladeling of sauce once in the box" it didn't mention anything about brushing sauce. Well I thank you guys for the info.

As long as there is no sauce pooling in the tray at turn in. You can take a paper towel with you and sop up anything that has dripped. Just make sure it sets.

7 slices of brisket, 7 ribs and a fully jointed chicken half.

I believe the rules still say that sauce must be cooked on. That means no painting, no touching up your slices for the box. That being said, I know that more than one cook has touched up their slices, panned them, and returned them to the cooker to stay within the rules. I would not use anything thicker than the juice you may collect during the cook on the face or backside of the slices though.

Make sure your brisket is going to fit the box when you are done cooking, before you start your cook. If the slices won't fit, bend them around but DO NOT trim the ends to make them fit. That's a DQ.

Thom had what is probably the best advice. Go to the cooks meeting and make sure that you are clear on the rules. With the # of cooks West can attract I wouldn't be surprised to see the amount of meat going into the box increase. Just make sure you are absolutely clear on exactly how much you need to turn in.

Actually the words "cooked on" were never in the rules
Yes I cooked West........ Man what a fun crowd that is........
Pooling is sauce running off on to the Texas Lettuce (foil square)
The bigger issue is "No sauce after cooking is complete"
Is Lynn your Head Judge?
She has been to a couple of Rodeos
Just ask You will be fine

This is actually Mike, I am out in Dallas now I am in FL this weekend catering a whole hog cook then I am flying back out on Tuesday. Not sure when Papa Chuck will be back.

Okay, well sounds like ya'll are racking up the frequent flyer miles. I'm guessing you're using your stickburner this weekend? You must have an FEC out there in TX with you, huh? I hope ya'll are planning on coming back to cook my contest on July 24-25, it's gonna be a blast! Good Luck and hope to see the Chucks soon!:-D

Are you talking about the West volunteer Fire Dept on 3/20? I'm gonna try to hit TX AllStar Shootout 5/22.

At West, you can count on turning in 9 ribs, 9 slices of brisket and 2 half chickens. There is normally 100+ teams at the VFD cookoff.

Alright well guys thanks for chiming in on this, I am looking forward to trying something new and meeting a whole bunch of new people. I think I seen that last year in West there was over 140 teams if I remember right. That by far will be my biggest contest to compete in. Should be a interesting way to start my Texas cook off expeirence.

Warfrat yeah we cooked on the stick burner this weekend, it turned out great everyone was happy. I did take a FE out there with me and I have a primo, too. Adam still has the 2 other FE's here incase he get the itching to cooked somewhere. We will keep that in mind about your contest, we will have to see where we are all at and how things are going. But definatelt keep in mind.

Thillin yeah that is the one that I am talking about.

Back