Center cut pork loin

pal251

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My wife bought me a center cut pork loin from Sams Club the other day. I have been trying to find recipes but I cannot find any that look good on the WSM. I am afraid of drying it out and may just cook it in the crock pot or cut it in half and put half in crock pot and smoke the other half.

Any ideas? It appears to have multiple cuts of meat on it and I can provide a photo if needed.

I'd leave it whole, cook it on the WSM at around 275 till internal temp hits 140, loosely tent for 20-30 minutes. Serving temp will be right around 145-147, which is great for lean pork. A little pink in middle of a loin is fine.

Loins will dry out taken any higher unless you brine them. If you choose to brine, add some of your rub into the brine, the flavor will get drawn into the meat.

As far as prep, trim any loose dangly pieces, rub with your favorite pork rub (chicken rubs work great on loins too). That's it, really simple.

If you have any apple or cherry wood, that works great with pork, as does pecan.

I'd leave it whole, cook it on the WSM at around 275 till internal temp hits 140, loosely tent for 20-30 minutes. Serving temp will be right around 145-147, which is great for lean pork. A little pink in middle of a loin is fine.

Loins will dry out taken any higher unless you brine them. If you choose to brine, add some of your rub into the brine, the flavor will get drawn into the meat.

As far as prep, trim any loose dangly pieces, rub with your favorite pork rub (chicken rubs work great on loins too). That's it, really simple.

If you have any apple or cherry wood, that works great with pork, as does pecan.

^ +1.....

Good info listed above, use the brine a definite way to keep the meat moist.

+10!!!! Less than 2 hours using fruitwood is a winner!

Just don't go past 145 to retain tenderness, and natural juices without drying out.
After rest - slice @ 1" thickness... watch out for the oohs and ahhs.

That works for me, too. Porkloin is a popular favorite.
Will be cooking 10 whole loins for a wedding party of 150!

If you sprinkle it with Simply Marvelous brand Sweet Seduction rub prior to cooking it will be GREAT. I cook it in my mini at 220 to 250F but only to an internal of 140F

Should I cook it in a aluminum roasting pan? What should I use to brine it... I'm new to brining

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I use the following for pork...

1 gallon water
1/2 cup Morton kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup say sauce
a couple of tablespoons of whatever rub or herbs I am going to use on the outside.

You can cut these in half if you don't need a gallon.

Put the roast in a large container or sturdy zip top bag and then put in the roast and put in the fridge for about an hour per pound. Then rinse and season. I like to cook pork loin at 275 until it hits 135 internal and then let it rest for 20 - 30 minutes before slicing. The carry-over will take it to 145 or so. I cook mine right on the grate, no pan.

I say cut it in half. Brine half and don't brine half. That way you get to smoke twice or if you do it at the same time... you will know what is better for you.

Don't worry. You can never do it too simply and there is always more "tricks" (actually meaning ways to over complicate it and mess it up).

I actually like to butterfly them open before brining. This allows for complete pnetration of the brine, and cut's down on length of time in the brine. After it's brined, I put some sort of veggie mix (sautee'd spinach, onion, mushroom, garlic, mushrooms, roasted red peppers...that sort of thing), and then roll it, tie it and indirect/reverse sear it or hot smoke it to about 145*.

wrap it in bacon and cook it low, then either crank up the heat for a bit to crisp the bacon up, or just remove the bacon.

All good advice. I do mine much like el Ropo said, and I agree with Panther65- I have found that bacon is definitely my friend when smoking loins. And by the way, they're delicious smoked. Also a good alternative to brining is a good, long, day-or-two soak in some mojo sauce!

Lot of great replys above. I "Cut it in the round" which means I cut it so it is flat piece of meat. (See Link Below as an example) I then brine it. It can be as little as 2 hours but if you do it 6-8 hours that is all it needs. Then stuff it with whatever you think would taste good. I have done it with Stove top stuffing. Corn Bread, Sharp Cheddar, and Jalpenos. I heard Sun Dried Tomatos, Mozz Cheese, Onions, Peppers, garlic. (Italian Theme). Then I would wrap the whole thing in a bacon blanket Tie with Butchers twine or not and smoke it until internal temp 145 and pull it will rise to 150 and be the best thing you have ever had. Cheap Way to feed alot of people.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eCpL6cj7Rw"]Stuffed Pork Loin Recipe : How to Prep Meat for Stuffed Pork Loin - YouTube[/ame]
Try to download some pictures soon.

Don't ya love Sam's?

My wife bought me a center cut pork loin from Sams Club the other day. I have been trying to find recipes but I cannot find any that look good on the WSM. I am afraid of drying it out and may just cook it in the crock pot or cut it in half and put half in crock pot and smoke the other half.

Any ideas? It appears to have multiple cuts of meat on it and I can provide a photo if needed.

Yeah, I've gotten those pork loins from Sam's myself. I have a small refridge. right now and no chest deep freezer (those all left during Katrina).

So, I get them, especially when they are like $1.49 - $1.99/lb. I usually cut them in half.

All the advice here is great. Definitely brine if smoking...the bacon trick works (what food doesn't taste better wrapped in bacon?)....

I've also cut the loin into medallions...I've sauteed those with different seasonings. I've taken those and cut them about 1-2" thick...cut pockets in them for various stuffings...

Butterflying the whole loin for stuffing is fun.

One of my recent favorites is to give it about the same treatment as I do for an old recipe I originally did with beef eye of round...teriyaki style.

I don't have the recipe in front of me, but in general you make a maridade of:

Teriyaki Sauce
Dry Sherry
Pure Olive oil (not extra virgin, but the pure stuff which is flavorless)
1 Packet of dried Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Brown sugar

And a little black pepper.....let this marinate at least over night.

Then, when ready, I reserve the marinade for bastes...and I set up the rotisserie on my Weber Kettle Charcoal grill....with coals in the holders I got on one side...and do a slow rotisserie...basting the meat as I go.

I like to watch the temps on my whole pork loins...and make sure to keep a pink center, you don't wanna over cook these or you'll have shoe leather for a meal. I keep it to medium usually....

Anyway, looks like you did a good one there.....don't you love Sam's club? Everything BIG....for a good price!!

I mean..doesn't everyone need a gallon of mustard in their fridge?

:)

Here are some Pictures from a roast I did a couple weeks ago. Smoked with Cherry wood at about 250 degrees. Then crank up at the last half hour to crisp up the bacon. Can also crisp up bacon in the oven

2012-07-239513.33.33.jpg

2012-07-239520.40.55.jpg

2012-07-239513.37.32.jpgen.

Cut it flat and sprinkled some pork rub on it.

Stuffed with Corn bread, Jalapenos, Sharp cheddar cheese.

No pictures of Bacon Blanket or Tie in Butchers twine.

Smoked it, Let rest for 30 minutes uncovered.

Last picture of it is cut piece.

well, i've been doing my a bit different. I've been slicing into 3/4 -1" thick chops and soaking overnight in a brine using PBR instead of water. Then seasoning and grill. Comes out delicious, but you do have to be careful. They can dry out quickly.

I cut my in half and put one in a pan and one on the grill. Need to get myself a good thermometer without spending a fortune. I'll let you know how it turns out

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Here's a nice probe thermo with remote alarm for under $20. I got mine for closeout of $9.00 over two years ago, and it's still going strong. Mine is accurate within 1 degree every time I test it.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_136360_-1?N=578846090

A standard probe thermo with no remote for under $10.00, it doesn't have a timer/stopwatch feature like the one above though.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_119051_-1?N=578846090

I have a maverick remote therm but the food probe has gone MIA. I would rather have a good handheld food probe to test various foods with though. I have a cheap analog therm from walmart right now. It reads about 6 or 7 higher than what the temp actually is with boiling water.

2012-09-27%2018.44.54.jpg

There is the result. I think it was probably a bit over done at 155 but I am not 100% confident in my thermometer. Easier to cook a pork butt or shoulder :)

I have a maverick remote therm but the food probe has gone MIA. I would rather have a good handheld food probe to test various foods with though. I have a cheap analog therm from walmart right now. It reads about 6 or 7 higher than what the temp actually is with boiling water.

I like the wired probes for things like pork loin cuz you can place probe in center of meat and walk away. The alarm will sound when the meat hits your target temp (in this case 140).

There are quite a few different handheld digital probes that don't cost an arm and a leg, but they won't be as reliable or as fast as a thermapen.

Back