UDT= Ugly Drum Tandoor... with PRON!!

I see no pictures and have opened this site up using Google Chrome and Internet Explorer.

This thread is a year old. I would guess that the fellow that posted the pictures has moved them and the links are no longer valid.

Thanks Kevin, that is probably why I see no pictures. I thought it was a recent thread. I should pay better attention!

This thread is a year old. I would guess that the fellow that posted the pictures has moved them and the links are no longer valid.

That would esplain a lot for sure.

I got nothing :roll:

no pictures

hey where are the photos.
I'm chuffed!
This sounds like a cool project.
Anyone know how to get a peek at a UDS tandoor?

Always looking for something new to try .

RockyAthabaska
Weber 18”kettle
Weber 22.5”kettle
Performer green
Weber silver B gasser
UDS
A man never tells you anything until you contradict him.
George Bernard Shaw

Darn
Too bad he removed the pics. Maybe we could get him to repost them on photobucket. I understand. I was getting to my limit on my posts so I deleted a few,,,,,,

The drum tandoor is really cool. I would love to hear how it has been working out.

Been trying to get this one stated for a while. I want to make this old cement mixer barrel into a back yard tandoor. I have cut a clean out/air intake on the bottom. Now I have to find some kind of clay or cement to build the walls up.

I have thought of refractory cement but I have heard that the nan will not cook right and just sticks on and never comes off in one piece.

I just want to use some kind of low fire, high heat clay. I think that is how they do it in India, they just build it then fire it by building a huge fire in it and around it.

DSC00431-1.jpg

DSC00433-1.jpg

Anybody know any low fire heat resistant clays?

The first (and last) time i ever ate bread from a tandoor, was in Bahrain... it was one of the best pieces of bread i had ever eaten. this was about 10 years ago and never thought this type of cooking existed beyond the middle east. It is very interesting to me that this style would interest those of us in the U.S.

Here is some drum UDT info.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5980069052/m/4441042806

http://piers.thompson.users.btopenworld.com/

Not a whole lot of info out there.

I cant find anything on the clay that they use in real tandoors.

Thanks for posting the link for the few pics I had put up on the tvwb site. I had to delete them from this site since I was running out of space. I was on vacation when the thread was bumped in Jan, so that's why I didn't respond earlier.
Please feel free to PM me if I can answer ?'s for anyone.

That's it!! I'm going across the street for some indian food this afternoon, thanks for bumping this thread guys. :)

*There are three indian restaurants on my street and one about 3 min walking distance away being the furthest.*
Curry Cottage- http://www.take-a-way.co.uk/menu/1042/Curry+Cottage/

Sinbad tandoori- http://www.take-a-way.co.uk/menu/1052/Sinbad+Tandoori/

Curry Palace- http://www.take-a-way.co.uk/menu/1037/The+Curry+Place/

Lalbagh- http://www.take-a-way.co.uk/menu/1152/Lalbagh+Indian+Cuisine/

Thanks for posting the link for the few pics I had put up on the tvwb site. I had to delete them from this site since I was running out of space. I was on vacation when the thread was bumped in Jan, so that's why I didn't respond earlier.
Please feel free to PM me if I can answer ?'s for anyone.

Snap, didnt even realize that was your post Ashish. Seems you are the webs foremost authority on UDT's.

There is something called fire clay, used in furnaces and chimney flues. I wonder if that stuff is toxic.

Snap, didnt even realize that was your post Ashish. Seems you are the webs foremost authority on UDT's.

There is something called fire clay, used in furnaces and chimney flues. I wonder if that stuff is toxic.

Carp... hadn't quite thought of that. Have fired the UDT numerous times in the past few years, and I can still spull... I mean spell. :-D

I think fire clay should be okay - it seems that's what most folks use to build WFO's.

If you want to build an all clay tandoor, you have to be careful with the thickness I think, because the extreme heat will cause the inner and outer walls to expand/contract at different rates. That can generate enough stress to crack the clay. There is the option of adding ss needles to the clay mix or horse hair - builders of wfo's might know more about that (check fornobravo.com, which has an unbelievable amount of helpful info re: oven building). I think there is also a book about making clay ovens which bread enthusiasts have found helpful.

Good luck! I would love to see how your cement mixer build turns out. I believe Nishi Enterpises still sells tandoor skewers, but the prices have gone up. Don't buy the naan pillow since you can just as well make one yourself.

Cap I would definitely go the potter route for finding solutions.
Bear in mind, Tandoors have been built since Mesopotamia times so they have been build of clay from Arab and Persian countries right across the middle east to Pakistan and India.
It might just be difficult sourcing clay that has not been messed with rather than clay than will work.
Potters will tell you how to smooth it.
You can do it!

After this talk, I am definitely re-inspired. Just have to find the time.

I love the idea of clay too. I have been working on these doors for pizza ovens with guys that build them all of the time. They are using refractory bricks and cement. But if I di that I would loose the the shape that I find so desirable in the mixer.

I do have to spend more time on the pizza oven forums that I have found. People building cob ovens and what not.

I love the idea of clay, but like calking says, due to the shrinkage factor, I think its like 9%-10% it may break. Or at the very least pull away from the form of the mixer.

The easiest way would be the refractory cement, I may just look into that. No firing required. I suppose I could wipe it smooth once it begins to set up. But with refractory cement, how do I form it into the mixer? Cant pur it. I would have to perhaps 'parge' it on like stucco and build it up in layers till I reach the ideal thickness and shape.

With the clay I suppose I could also design and form in the clay with expansion joints and then fill them after they have been fired, then fire it one last time or something like that.

I just want to make sure I get it right the first time so I am not trying to chisel out a messed up job, or discarding everything all together.

May end up being a slow winter for me so I could end up moving this and other projects back onto the table.

This thread has taken on a phoenix-like quality since it comes alive every few months :-D

Cap - your idea of a cement mixer tandoor is very unique. what about cutting the bottom curved part off, then standing the top part up with the narrower opening on the bottom (wider opening on top). Plaster on /sparge/ whatever your cobb or fireclay mix, let it set ( maybe even fire it slooowly to dry it out completely) then set it back on the rounded base you cut off earlier. Reattach with a cobb or fireclay mix to seal it up?

My suggestions are very simplistic. The level of complexity you are thinking of would be better addressed by folks who build WFO's and such.

Wait! There is an old way of making tandoors which involves making "ropes" of clay, then coiling the ropes to form the cylinder/bell of the tandoor. Pottery people should be familiar with this kind of technique (my wife takes pottery classes and she has also talked about this - on a smaller scale). You could probably lay coils like this to line your cement mixer. May take a few layers to build a thick enough lining. But I think you might have some issues with the clay separating from the cementmixer over time.

Good luck! I would love to see pics of your cement mixer tandoor in action some day.

Back