THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter B

Knows what a fatty is.
I am still fairly new to my offset cooker and I have tried different tools/methods for creating small splits for my firebox. However, I don't recall seeing a thread on this and I am curious what approach other people are using to split their wood.

Currently, I use a splitting maul to split my rounds into wedges. Then I use a large knife and a baton ( a large stick ) to baton out small splits from the wedges.

The Batonning method is a bit of work and I was wondering if there is an easier method to cut out 1" - 2" splits from the wedges.

With leverage.

froe-panel_zps6d33c1a6.jpg

With a Mexican Wood Splitter... Man-u-el. Axe, Wedge & sledge and a Maul and some old tires of the 64 Cheby.:becky:

28 ton gas powered hydraulic splitter to get it small enough to use a maul. I use a maul when 1 solid whack will do the trick. I own the splitter because I and my 73 YO Dad heat our homes with wood. You can rent one for a weekends use and be done splitting wood for a long time when you are only feeding your smoker.

splits

use spliter i heat my house whith wood got spliter after spliting all day laying in bed that night had chest pains thought omg i`am halveing the big one then it hit me spliting whith mall bought spliter i split to fist sized if i need smaller i use mall

Back