Turkey Size?

RichardF

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
OK - I've cooked a bunch of turkets in the 10 to 14# range and know what to do to get what I want. Wife calls me at work and says "guess what honey, you will be so proud of the deal I got on a 21# Turkey" (I know, any time you get a call that starts-out "guess what honey" you should be prepared for anything). I reminded her that I wanted to keep the size between 10 and 14# and if she wanted more turkey we'd cook two-birds.

I'm concerned that with a bird this size to get it cooked thru, I will dry it out. It's a self-basting bird so it's been brined, and I plan on coking at 300* to 325*. Any thoughts? I want to try and avoid ice-bagging the breasts.

Thanks

I'm with you I don't like them larger than 14 lbs

I haven't cooked a bird that big, bu my mother used to do it every year. I don't think she did anything special.

I have seen folks recommend cooking the bird breast down for the first part of the cook and then flipping it to get the skin browned, but I haven't tried it. This supposedly yields moister breast meat.

I usually cook one large bird for show at the table. I'll do it as RonL suggests, and shoot the breast up with quite a bit of Tony C's. I'll also have some breasts in the cooker, just in case:wink:

I have layered bacon strips over the breast, worked pretty good and the bacon was good afterwards

I've never had a problem with dry meat on a brined smoked bird of any size. I do have problems with tough skin though. Suggestions?

I've done larger birds and found that if I take an 1 apple cut into wedges, 1 onion also cut into wedges, and 1 cinnamon stick and place them in a microwave safe bowl and cook the mixture for 4 to 5 minutes and then stuff it in the bird, the breast meat seems to stay more moist (I'm thinking because of the steam)...

I saw it once on 'Good Eats' and it's been a staple in our house for the last 5 or 6 years...

I usually cook one large bird for show at the table. I'll do it as RonL suggests, and shoot the breast up with quite a bit of Tony C's. I'll also have some breasts in the cooker, just in case:wink:

What is Tony C's

thanks

mick

Bird that big can Get pretty dark. You might want to do the cheese cloth thingy!

I'm ok w/dark skin. This was from last year -

DSC01874-1.jpg

DSC01885.jpg

and it was delicious :wink:

What is Tony C's

thanks

mick

Store bought injection. The bottle comes with an injector. It has a mild Cajun flavor to it. I shoot the breast and thigh, and then work the rub of choice for the year up under the skin. I massage it well and then let it set in the fridge overnight.

I'm ok w/dark skin. This was from last year -

DSC01874-1.jpg

DSC01885.jpg

and it was delicious :wink:

Richard, that ain't the type of dark I am talking about. I am talking black dark. Still is good, but the skin is not edible.

Your bird looks tasty:biggrin:

Store bought injection. The bottle comes with an injector. It has a mild Cajun flavor to it. I shoot the breast and thigh, and then work the rub of choice for the year up under the skin. I massage it well and then let it set in the fridge overnight.
I've been known to make up a compound butter using the rub of choice and then rubbing under the skin... I just figure if Bacon fat is number one, butter must be a close second...

For the past 3 or 4 years, we've done an 18-22 lb bird on the vertical propane smoker beer can chicken style, using a Fosters Lager can. Always works well and produces very moist meat! We use a mix of apple, cherry and sugar maple for wood. This year I may try it on the BGE

Attachments

• IMGP0318 (2).jpg
    IMGP0318 (2).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 119
Back