Baby backs vs spares

akoda

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Does everyone use spares for competitions or does anyone use BB's? Does anyone when with BB's?

Thanks

Common discussion here.
Here is one of many threads:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162495&highlight=spares

I think you will find that most experienced folks will say to cook whatever you do best.

We kicked ass with BB's. Others did the same and others dominated with Spares.

Quality of the product is far more important than cut of meat, IMHO

Good Luck

TIM

Last weekend we took 9th with spares our neighbors took 10th with baby's.

I've done both. Done well with both, did bad with both. My opinion is that judges have an expectation of what they are going to get, if they get something different it better be much better than their expectation or it will score particularly bad. I think the average judge expects to get spares, so if they get BB's they better be amazing. Therefore I've been using spares this year.

If you turn in a perfectly seasoned, perfectly cooked rib you will do well regardless of the type of rib. Over the past 5 years or so we have the same number of first place finishes with spares as with baby backs. I cook the best ribs that I can get at the time.

Thanks for the replies.

We have done BB's for the last 10 years or so because that's what we like to eat. Some of my research has seemed to lean some to spares. I was pondering a change, but I think I will stay with BB's and do a couple of spares at the comp and turn in what is best. The straight bones look like something easier to do a good presentation with, they are now selling spares already trimmed to st louis style, so maybe we try those.

Thanks again

Mike

I used to cook baby backs but switched to st Louis cut spares a few years ago. It's a bit less expensive, it's a little meatier and can be cooked just as well.

Ive done bb only for the last 4 years and done ok with them

I saw in the other thread that someone recommended cutting the strap from th BB's, do you all do that? I know it could hurt in presentation because it can tear but it is a delicious piece of meat IMO

I've done BB's and haven't cut the strap.

Slightly aside, but watch your sanctioning body. The different bodies define tenderness differently. Doesn't seem like a big deal, until you get really into it. For example, KCBS's "bite through" rib is probably better suited to a St Louis Spare cadillac cut if you can. MBN's "pull cleanly from the bone with only slight resistence" is probably better suited to a 2 bone presentation of Baby Backs. And there are others...

Cook and turn in what you cook best.. If they are not spares, practice until they are your best.

What should a smoker of BB's do differently to a rack of spares than they would to a rack of BB's?

I've done both. Done well with both, did bad with both. My opinion is that judges have an expectation of what they are going to get, if they get something different it better be much better than their expectation or it will score particularly bad. I think the average judge expects to get spares, so if they get BB's they better be amazing. Therefore I've been using spares this year.

I completely disagree with your contention that "judges have an expectation of what they are going to get" when it comes to ribs, except they expect "good" ribs (no matter what kind or cut)!

I've been judging for years and have NEVER heard another judge say anything about rib types or cuts or anything. How good it was, yes, but not about the cut unless it is completely different.

Believe it or not, MOST judges do not go into the judges tent "expecting" something in particular. We judge what is presented.

I agree with the above. Cook your best. I would think regions have a little dictation.... I've really only cooked here in Texas so I can't speak from experience anywhere else.

I completely disagree with your contention that "judges have an expectation of what they are going to get" when it comes to ribs, except they expect "good" ribs (no matter what kind or cut)!

I've been judging for years and have NEVER heard another judge say anything about rib types or cuts or anything. How good it was, yes, but not about the cut unless it is completely different.

Believe it or not, MOST judges do not go into the judges tent "expecting" something in particular. We judge what is presented.

Not a slam on Judges, just human nature. No matter how much everyone wants to declare that judges are totally unbiased, the reality is that every single person has likes and dislikes and it is impossible to ignor them. It may not be a conscious decision but sub consciously we know what we like and don't like. Again, just my opinion.

Not a slam on Judges, just human nature. No matter how much everyone wants to declare that judges are totally unbiased, the reality is that every single person has likes and dislikes and it is impossible to ignor them. It may not be a conscious decision but sub consciously we know what we like and don't like. Again, just my opinion.

I agree.. and, let's see... Fowl butt has had a rough year.. now wins a GC.. I wonder what he turned in for chicken???

I think as Ron_L said, if it is good it scores.....Judged a few weeks ago, one of the entries was BB and they blew away the others on the table -- not even close -- so "if presented perfectly cooked rib you will do well regardless of the type of rib"

Back