Help Identifying Kamado Grill

bdavosu

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I would like some help identifying this Kamado grill. I bought it at an estate sale recently. I was told it came from Japan in the 1950s. No real reason I want to find out other than curiosity.

It is in good shape, and all the components are there. I added the BGE cast top and felt insulation.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Kamado full.jpg
    Kamado full.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 248
  • Kamado Lid.jpg
    Kamado Lid.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 243
Looks like its in real nice shape.
If you don't mind ma asking, how much did you pay for it?

A photo of mine. Smoking a pork shoulder in it right now.
c6e4d80f-0869-51ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in stealth mode.

I would like some help identifying this Kamado grill. I bought it at an estate sale recently. I was told it came from Japan in the 1950s. No real reason I want to find out other than curiosity.

It is in good shape, and all the components are there. I added the BGE cast top and felt insulation.

Thanks in advance.
Looks like an 発音記号表 #4 to me. :behindsofa:

Hard to tell, but from the info I have from the old Imperial Kamado website that I printed before it went to web death, and info I gleaned from Kamado.com Archives is that you have a Ancient Traditional style Kamado (plug damper in base) The "dog ears" on the lid are handles that were used to move the lids in what were traditionally rice cookers. The scissor hinge bands were claimed to have been invented by Richard Johnson while stationed in Japan during the reconstruction after WWII.

I've had a few that looked like yours that sometimes were referred to as Fuji Kamados due to the outline of a mountain on the lid. But Noritake of Japan also made a Fuji Kamado and Kikuya Co. Ltd. had the Hibachi Pot or Barbecue Pot that also had the outline.

Left: Sakura Kamado Right: Medium Hibachi Pot

100_2684.jpg

100_2682.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

Large Hibachi Pot

IMG_0129.jpg

Noritake Fuji Kamado

100_2899.jpg

There were a lot of pottery companies making Kamados and according to what I read in the Kamado.com Archives, Richard Johnson takes credit for bringing them out of the Japanese countryside and introducing them to the US.
A neighbor brought one back from Japan while stationed there during the Vietnam war, and that is when I first was fascinated by them, and people have told me stories of bringing them back when they worked Air Force transport planes. The guy I got the Sakura Kamado from told me he was 17 years old and drove the family truck to McChord AFB and picked up 6 his dad, an Air Force pilot bought at the base in Japan.

The old Imperial Kamado website had a wealth of information and pictures of old Kamados being made and used as well as the history behind them.

Hope this helps.

I always love the stuff you post about the kamados swamprb. I always wonder about mine because it has no markings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in stealth mode.

Back