St Louis Ribs

iamasmoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Does Anyone know about how much weight gets trimmed off of a rack of spare ribs when you cut them down to St Louis Cut?

I am trying to figure out if it is cheaper to buy St Louis Cut ribs or to buy spare ribs and cut them down.

Thanks

I have never checked. But, you do not have to throw away the trimmings, keep them, smoked it and use for some great BBQ baked beans. Or just snake on it while the ribs finish cooking.

Spares are cheaper and you trim in one piece cook em and you have delicious rib tips!

I have a freezer full of rib tips. Every so often I make a huge batch of chile verde using the tips. Then I have frozen chile verde to last me 6 months!
That said, if I am cooking more than 2-3 racks of ribs, I will go to Costco and buy their Cryovac St. Louis Ribs. Rib tips are tasty but a pain in the neck due to all the little cartilage pieces that you have to fish out.

I always buy full spare rub racks and cut them down myself. My wife actually likes the tips better than the ribs!

When I am cooking for myself I cook full spares. Each rib has a ton of meat. Cooking for others I trim them, makes for better presentation and the eater has each end of bone to hang onto.

I just happened to check that over the weekend, started with a 6.10# slab of spares and cut them down to St. Louis's, finished weight was just slightly over 3#'s. so 50% would be a good ball park number.

I don't matter how much comes off its all edible ever heard of a "Cooks Treat"?

I just happened to check that over the weekend, started with a 6.10# slab of spares and cut them down to St. Louis's, finished weight was just slightly over 3#'s. so 50% would be a good ball park number.

I just did that this weekend too. Spares at Cash&Carry were 1.82/lb, St Louies were $2.78/lb. Out of a 14 pound three pack I got 7 lbs of tips and flap.Thats 50%. The BBs were an even better deal but I had my heart set on spares.

Unlike some, I dont mind the cartlidge and love the flavor of the tips. I also ussually fry up the flap for breakfast right after I break them down. And to be fair, precuts ussually still have some flap attatched and sometimes a bit of the tips(they tend to weigh more in the pack than when I trim them)

So I do it both ways. When Im ambitious I get spares but if Im just looking for ribs and Im serving to guests I go for the pre-cuts. If the cost of the St Louies were the only factor then buying precut is the better deal most of the time.

Back