View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
squeel
Got rid of the matchlight.

bubba,

The unit did not contain any food, but I had a full water pan. The Reflectix material is trapping the heat and holding against "the can". Thats why I could achieve 300 degrees. If I had let it heat for a longer period it might have gone a bit higher. I did not use the PID in this test. I was interested in what high temp I could achieve knowing that the pid would control at 225 as long as I could achieve it.

The can is for wood chips/chunks. I had placed the wood chunks between the element coils but cleanup was more work then I believe it should be. I have not yet tried the can but got the idea from another guy on some other forum.

While the element is factory set to 225 if you smoke in July/August in direct sunlight you can achieve "over the top" temps and have no way to control those temps without a PID because the electric is always "on" to the coil.

One thing I should point out is that I use a 25 foot extension cord rated at 1800 watts. The Brinkman coil draws 1500 so the extra 300 watts handles any additional load by the PID. The PID is accurate and holds/cycles within 2 degrees of set temperature. The proof will be the Thanksgiving turkey.
squeel is offline   Reply With Quote