Pizza Oven and BBQ Build Thread

Weekend Pr0n

Here are some goodies I made over the weekend.
8# pork butt with my own rub.
Started it about 11 pm on Sat night (did not heat oven to pizza temp), oven was kind of hot 400, but figured it would drop below 300 within an hour or so (ambient was supposed to get to about 10 overnight).
Well, it did not, oven was still 280 on the deck and 390 on the dome...
Took it out at 7 am on Sun. Internal was over 200 and had a thicker bark that I would have liked but tasted great!

Second is some left over pizza dough (two different styles) from our party on Sun that I did a second rise on and baked at 11 am on MONDAY with the leftover heat from Sun. The photo with the Cambro tub is the proofed dough before balling up for pizza.

Attachments

• IMG_20130215_191317_644.jpg
    IMG_20130215_191317_644.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_20130216_213526_582.jpg
    IMG_20130216_213526_582.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_20130217_074845_434.jpg
    IMG_20130217_074845_434.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_20130218_120546_072.jpg
    IMG_20130218_120546_072.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_20130217_081544_235.jpg
    IMG_20130217_081544_235.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 489
Looks great..

You've got some lucky friends to be eatin' grub like that. Great job on the oven.

:jaw:
I'm just now seeing this.

:hail:

WOW. Just WOW.

This has always been a dream of mine. Thanks for posting.

I committed a pretty bad crime against that pork butt :cry:, but will cheerfully repay my debt to BBQ once the smoker is done!!

Hi,
I have really enjoyed watching your pizza oven build.
A couple of quick questions, do you have masonry experience or is this a first time project?
Have you kept a list of materials and labor/time involved?
I would love to build something like this also if its not extremely costly. Did you draw a set of plans or just wing it?
Thanks for any help,
jon

Thank you.
I had a small amount of masonry experience but am pretty handy. I have a friend that had more experience than myself, so off we went (beer(s)and legal pad in hand). I have no plans, just used ideas that I found online (Forno Bravo.com is a good place to check out).
I have a list of receipts but have not compiled them yet.
With the pavilion, brick smoker and Tuscan grill, all the costs kind of run together.
I plan on closing the thread when the project is done with those details of the build.
I did by from a wholesale source for most of the build supplies.
If I had to guess on the materials alone for the pizza oven alone, I would GUESS about $800 (wholesale), keep in mind it is not quite finished yet.
Time, well no real way to guess since it didn't happen all at once and there was "Beer Thinking" and lots of spectators along the way. :laugh:
Many of the materials except for refractory mortar, portland cement, concrete mix and pearlite (for the insulation) can be found used (reclaimed), unwanted or leftover on CL.
ALL our component and supplies were new or unused.
All the brick for the outer wrap of the entire project we got for free, just had to re-stack on pallets and bring home (about $4000 worth). (plus about 8 cans of wasp spray, long story)
Hope this inspires you,
Thermal

I guess i need to start looking for some materials.:-D
and a saw....
It would be great if you could supply a material quantity and size needed to build list when you have a chance. Don't stop building to compile it. Its too cold here now to start building.
Are you using a door on the front when you are cooking?
jon

Flue design

In case this was missed elsewhere...

The flue is multi-segmented arch built with the flue area left open and profiled from the inside.
The flue pipe and support wrap are mortared to the top of this.

Attachments

• pizza oven 036.jpg
    pizza oven 036.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 463
  • pizza oven 034.jpg
    pizza oven 034.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 462
OH.....so you left it open, then and did NOT cut it later. Gotcha. I didn't see that from your previous pics. Thanks. So, the (interior) top of the dome does go above the lowest elevation of the chimney flu then?

Wow, the micro bubbling on those boules look amazing. High heat oven's can't be beat. Have you ever tried slashing your bread before launching? I like to do that a lot, I've been shooting to get that fabled "ear" on my loaves forever and still haven't got it just right.

WFO Bread (left over pizza dough)

Thanks.
I just wanted to bake off some left over pizza dough while the oven was still warm...
The boules were just brushed with some EVOO before final proofing.
The bottom "baguette" is just three of my "chewy" dough balls rolled together and dusted with flour.
I do play around with other dough and bread types that do cut for more eye appeal.
I will fire the oven specifically for bread or bake much more closely to a "pizza firing".
Just a shot of the crust. Yummmm!

Attachments

• IMG_20130218_121941_584.jpg
    IMG_20130218_121941_584.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 455
Beautiful, nothing better than rustic bread really. Wish I had that baguette to sop up some 'mater soup!

Epic fail

Some rolls attempted near pizza temps last fall.
13 minutes, took my kindling hatchet to get them open.:laugh:
All in the good of "research"..

Attachments

• pizza oven 090.jpg
    pizza oven 090.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 434
Haha too funny. I have done that one too many times under the broiler trying to toast bread for a sandwich. I've stopped doing other things now and just watched the bread. Forget trying to fry fish and broil bread! LOL, charcoal and smoke is what I usually end up with.

Back