• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

WSM Insulated Cover Question

bmonkman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a BBQ Guru insulated cover for my WSM that came with it when I bought it.

My question is this - has anyone used one without a BBQ Guru fan in play? I do not have one of those yet. I want to cook this weekend but the weather is supposed to be lousy.

Anyone have experience doing this?

Brian

As long as you have intake and exhaust I can't imagine why there would be a problem.

My thinking as well. But if I have learned anything over the last year or so is that what appears to me as logical doesn't always line up with reality. Hence my questions to those who have "been there, done that".

Brian

a guy over at the virtual bullet site has one and struggled getting temp without the guru as the exhast is intended to travel back down the sides of the cover and out the bottom. he cut a hole for his exhast in the cover but hasnt ran it yet. I think Id cut a hole over the exhast anyways as I can only imagine how gunky the outside of your wsm would get. should still work great I would think

I haven't tried a cover on my WSM yet but I would think along the same lines as the other folks here, you would want some place for the exhaust to go. Besides impeding the airflow, it has to make a mess all over everything.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to go smoker jacket route or some guys are buying insulated welders jackets and making their own "jacket" which blocks a majority of the wind yet leaves the exhaust open.

So far I'm cooked down in the mid 20's with no issues, however it wasn't windy.

Maybe I should just cook in the garage with the garage door open. The wind is going to be running at 9 mph out of the ENE which is the back of our place. Or maybe not. Thumbing my nose at Mother Nature is appealing.

The nice thing about the guru blanket is its going to cost you roughly the same as a silicon coated welding blanket yet its already shaped for the wsm. Id buy one and cut a vent hole with a razor blade. The fiberglass blankets are cheaper but something about fiberglass doesnt seem so food safe to me. (see airborne asbestos type fibers)

I have used a guru wsm cover quite a bit this year and it works great. I use it with a guru and the exhaust just exits the form the bottom of the jacket. It doesn't mess up the outside of the cooker, I just wipe it off after I am done and its fine. Can't beat it, but if you are not using a guru just cut a hole for the exhaust, line it up and you should be good to go.

I too use the jackets with my WSMs, one of each size. I have added 3 extra grommet holes for the exhaust. That may work for your purposes. Can't say for sure because I use a Stoker with mine.

I think I am going to cut a hole in the jacket to line up with the cover vent. That way I can use it both with a BBQ Guru (when I eventually get one) and without.

Thanks everyone for your advice/suggestions.

Brian

I think I am going to cut a hole in the jacket to line up with the cover vent. That way I can use it both with a BBQ Guru (when I eventually get one) and without.

Thanks everyone for your advice/suggestions.

Brian

STOP! Instead of cutting up your fitted cover why not just pick up a hot water tank insulated cover and cut it however you need. So when you do get a guru it will all be good. Probably to late huh?
Dave

Nope not too late. Though it prompts a question. Would exposing the upper vent be a bad thing when I use a BBQ Guru?

Brian

I dont think so. 9/10 people would have put a big hole for the vent anyways. let her roll. let us know the results

Back