First Pies Out Of The Pizza Oven

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
First pies are out of my new Pizzeria Pronto Oven. Was a fun cook and the pizzas came out pretty good.

I found a 72 hour fermented pizza dough recipe on cookingsteel.com. Contains flour, water, salt and yeast.

The first 24 hours it sits on the counter in a covered container.
psDZxGQl.jpg

The second and third days are spent in the refrigerator in individual portions.
kEVZUj4l.jpg

This is the third day after sitting on the counter for a few hours before cooking.
FCsi71Fl.jpg

The sauce I made was really simple. Open a can San Marzano tomatoes and pulse with a immersion blender along with salt and fresh basil. It's not even cooked. I will not be messing with this recipe. It was perfect.

Xj96Hnxl.jpg

09FhPPDl.jpg

The oven got to temp in about 10 minutes.
9mM26uml.jpg

Fairly basic toppings for my first attempt. The only whole milk low moisture mozzarella I could find was at Walmart. Will try to find something else at Costco or Trader Joes.
xP9ER1dl.jpg

emseCAol.jpg

The pies
4WID2v9l.jpg

zozZevpl.jpg

ftSUtm8l.jpg

hgfi6Dpl.jpg

I had a little water pooling on a couple of them. Not sure what caused that. It might have been from the black olives, I noticed it wasn't as bad with pies without them. I also need to work out an exact timing for rotating them during the cook to even the crust out.

I liked the crust but others thought it was a little strong. I might try something else next time.

Thanks,

Matt

Nicely done! I'm with Mike... I could hit a slice or two of those right now.

Appreciate the words on the dough. Looks like great bubbles in the crust.

First pie? Ha ha, looks like you have been doing those for years! You did them right, San Marzano and whole milk Mozza,,, you know how to make a pie my friend and it shows!!!

Thanks,
Greg

Those look really good. The olive one looked like the most pooling, but any raw vegetable is going to give off a ton of water when cooked. You can do a quick roast or saute of any raw veg, or the easiest is to just throw them in the microwave for 45 seconds or so. It just gets rid of some of the excess water. Cheese can also be a major factor if your pie is a little soupy.

What did your family mean by strong in the dough? Just yeasty?

Those look great! Im gonna be snagging your 'recipe' and comments on the sauce for next time we try this. And the dough/crust looks great!

Positively Neapolitan.

Watching intently - I will finally get some OO Caputo Chef's flour today.

By the way, how hot does that oven get?

Thanks, have definitely picked up some tips from the Brethren.

First pie? Ha ha, looks like you have been doing those for years! You did them right, San Marzano and whole milk Mozza,,, you know how to make a pie my friend and it shows!!!

Thanks,
Greg

I don't think I would say yeasty. Just a little more developed I think. Two people liked it and two people found it to be a little "strong". Kind of hard to pin point.

Those look really good. The olive one looked like the most pooling, but any raw vegetable is going to give off a ton of water when cooked. You can do a quick roast or saute of any raw veg, or the easiest is to just throw them in the microwave for 45 seconds or so. It just gets rid of some of the excess water. Cheese can also be a major factor if your pie is a little soupy.

What did your family mean by strong in the dough? Just yeasty?

I couldn't find any 00 flour so I used bread flour. I was cooking a little over 700. The oven is advertised to get to 900 I think. Not sure if would actually get there or not or how reliable the thermometer is.

Positively Neapolitan.

Watching intently - I will finally get some OO Caputo Chef's flour today.

By the way, how hot does that oven get?

I want to further comment on the "strong" flavor of the crust. While eating leftovers for lunch I think we determined that the flavor was just a couple of pies that had a little to much charring on the bottom.

The dough recipe is good. Just need to work on my technique a little.

Back