Grilling on the News

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm doing my 4th appearance on a noon local news show, and lining up at least 9 more appearances next year. Unfortunately, they can no longer have booze on the show (I can, if I'm not working after, but the talent can't). That's a real pity!

Anyway... I'm on December 18, to do something Christmas related. If you were going to tune into a noon-time show to see someone on a grill, what would you want to see for Christmas? I'm still going to make my simple but delicious egg nog, but I need to do a couple things on the grill. Any ideas?

Not a bad idea at all. I was also thinking potato torte with a tomahawk steak, and some pig candy on the side. To simplify, the veggies will cook hotter, and brown nicely, so it will go faster.

More ideas are welcome!

Omelet or enchilada's Christmas Style- covered with both red and green chile sauces at the same time

I'm doing my 4th appearance on a noon local news show, and lining up at least 9 more appearances next year. Unfortunately, they can no longer have booze on the show (I can, if I'm not working after, but the talent can't). That's a real pity!

Anyway... I'm on December 18, to do something Christmas related. If you were going to tune into a noon-time show to see someone on a grill, what would you want to see for Christmas? I'm still going to make my simple but delicious egg nog, but I need to do a couple things on the grill. Any ideas?

I do spiral hams on the grill, easy enough for anyone to do, you can create a rub and a finishing glaze to make it your own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc8ul0s0JS4

My first thought was a really thick steak - I think a lot of folks have no clue how to cook one without making the outside charcoal - and it lets you show a two level cook.

Clark, my wife mentioned that, and I think I'll have those going already. How long do they take?

We had this for Christmas a couple years ago... I'm still considering it...

5298876210_b1e16ef775_z.jpg

Are you doing the whole cook during the show or is this a couple of minutes of "here's how you prepare this and here's the end product" kinda thing? How much time do you have?

I like prime rib, but don't have the time to do that, unfortunately.

It's TV, things don't have to happen in real time on TV. Just show the prep, tell them how to cook it (indirect till 125*), then grill something quick like sides of potatoes or veggies. Maybe grill some kielbasa to dice up and throw into a stuffing.

Then at the end pull out your precooked prime rib, introduce them to the direct sear, then slice it up for the money shot.

Jason, I get the prep, but I don't have the morning to do everything... and it's expensive! :) (I have to bring my own food).

Are you doing the whole cook during the show or is this a couple of minutes of "here's how you prepare this and here's the end product" kinda thing? How much time do you have?

I'll show some prep, but pull out a finished product. I have 6 minutes, so there's quite a bit I can do there, but start to finish isn't one of them. I try to have things finished right near the beginning of the segment. I also get a couple teasers through the show.

Around the holidays, many are having parties, or friends drop by, not for formal dine.

How about some hand-held delicacies, such as Moink balls, or lamb lollies etc., to go with the nog.

Not a bad idea at all... MOINK balls would work, chestnuts roasted, pig candy on hand with goat cheese or brie.

Back